• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC games worth it now against PS4/xbox1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If they quit cheaping out and stop sticking in cards from 15 years ago (exaggeration obv more like 5-7 years ago still cheaping out) and made console games the same price as PC games, maybe just maybe they wouldn't lose customers and people would prefer console gaming over PC gaming. And the ability to overclock an xbox would be awesome. Until that glorious day, PC's will always be on top in both performance and cost effectiveness.

You pretty much nailed it. Modifications will be the main reason why PCs will triumph over consoles. The perfect example will be just about any Bethesda game. Unless consoles have access to the vast amounts of user mods that provide a large amount of additional content, as well as graphical overhauls, is more than enough to choose PC over consoles. Not only that, but digital game sales via steam, GMG, and other digital distributors will always make PC games cheaper than consoles.

The only reason to chose a console over PC would be for exclusives that aren't ported over to PC.

Other than Valve, Bethesda and maybe Id, isn't modding on PC's a dying art form? It just kinda seems that games developers don't cooperate w/the modding community anymore, maybe because it would take away from their ability to charge for DLC.

I don't think that is necessarily true. There are mods for a lot of psuedo-indie games (torchlight), Kerbel Space Program, and then games like the Civilization series, and Blizzard supports the modding community as well.

If they quit cheaping out and stop sticking in cards from 15 years ago (exaggeration obv more like 5-7 years ago still cheaping out) and made console games the same price as PC games, maybe just maybe they wouldn't lose customers and people would prefer console gaming over PC gaming. And the ability to overclock an xbox would be awesome. Until that glorious day, PC's will always be on top in both performance and cost effectiveness.

But they can't do that. Consoles can't offset the heat and can't keep up with the power requirements and space requirements of better hardware why you could never over clock one because it would die.

owning a console is just a trade off of performance and customization for convenience cost.

Other than Valve, Bethesda and maybe Id, isn't modding on PC's a dying art form? It just kinda seems that games developers don't cooperate w/the modding community anymore, maybe because it would take away from their ability to charge for DLC.

In a sense, but not entirely in my opinion. I've played many of recent games that have some sort of modding, even if it's just graphical changes. DLCs may play a big role in developers not wanting to support the modding community these days, but it's not like these communities actually need permission from the devs to make the modifications.

Some mods have gotten big enough that they've created their own games. Natural Selection was a mod based off of Half-Life, and last year they released NS2 themselves. I think the modders for Dayz(Arma 2 mod) are making their own standalone game as well.

Because consoles will never be able to provide 1000w of power in a reasonable sized box for a reasonable price.

PC will ALWAYS be ahead of the consoles.

Console companies just don't have the resources to compete with GPU makers.

Nvidia's Senior Vice President of Content and Technology, Tony Tamasi, recently talked with PC PowerPlay about the typical comparison between the PC platform and consoles. He revealed that, unlike generations in the past that were on par if not better than many performance PCs at launch, console makers no longer have the resources to jump ahead of the PC gaming hardware market. This became obvious during E3 back in June, as many demos showcased on the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 just didn't look as good as the earlier PC versions.

Consoles will always be less capable than a PC because they have power budgets of only 200 watts or 300 watts – they're designed to run quietly and cool in the living room. On a PC, 250 watts can be used solely on the GPU, thus consoles will never beat a 1000 watt PC. In a chart provided by Nvidia, the trajectory shows that consoles will never equal or succeed the PC platform again, that the tiny window between 2005 and 2006 will likely be the last time these two industries will ever be on the same page.
The oddity of that is that the demo rigs were decent spec'ed pc's. They assuredly were not running those Demo's on consoles. I think they had disclaimers "Simulated".

I agree with your point though.

As to the OP. I do love that games look great on the PC. The bigger reason for me though is that through Steam we all get dozens of really great games much cheaper than they will ever be on the console. Look at what Humble Bundle's are going for now....

I know this thread is a few days old now, but last week I was asking myself what is the point of the new consoles when you have pcs? "Resolutiongate" hurt this generation of consoles especially when you consider the whole point of this generation was to have 1080p @ 60 fps. It already can't deliver this with some games especially the Xbox One. I have 1440p @ 60 fps on my pc, and I wouldn't settle for less.

65% of the friends i know who own a ps3 xbox360 won't upgrade to the newer consoles.
they will buy a pc.

mostly because i proved them how "not" new console hardware is.

Keyboard and mouse please!!! First-person and tactical games MS Strategic Commander and mouse; cockpit games Precision Pro, Strategic Commander (HOTAS) and FaceTrackNoIR+PS Eye Camera; Footy/PES PS Dual shock x2 with adapter.

Games on console tend to be derivative and boring on the whole. The Last Of Us & Red Dead Redemption is the only ones that really stick out. Sim City, Elite Dangerous, Star Citizen and Satellite Reign are the games I've commited to and will be playing in 2014...

Back