• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 920 / q9550 / e8600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

matai

Registered
I gotta get a new proc/mobo/memory in early January. I like OCing, playing games, including Flight Sim and ripping DVDs/Blu-Rays. What proc do you guys think will be the best to get?

Thanks

By January we'll have a better idea of the encoding ability of GPUs. I'm banking on it being really good so I chose a dual core recently but we'll need to see how they can do with high quality , other reasons for the dual core too - cooling, price and power draw.

FS X does benefit from quad core though. Imo the question should be i7 or e8600 for a completely new build, the q9550 is no doubt a great CPU but the main reason to choose it versus an i7 is cost (mobo and RAM) and if he's considering an i7 anyway I'd take it to mean the cost isn't a huge deal.

Last edited:
I agree with some points. If you are going to get the Q9550, just get the i7 instead. Price of i920 is actually cheaper.

Let me ask you one question. When do you plan on upgrading again? If you like to upgrade periodically, then I would say to get the i7. That way you are all set and if anything, all you need to upgrade is the CPU next time.

If you go with a LGA775, you'll have to replace the MB and quite possibly the memory next time you upgrade, so that is something to consider as well.

i7 is in it's infancy. We really don't know a lot about it, but the memory controller does wonders for memory read/write speeds.

i recommend you read this thread :

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=583975

There's a lot of good information in there that may help you.

Good Luck.

Since you've got an E5200 now, any of those would be a decent upgrade... If your ripping / converting / editing video however, I'd go with the i7 if your budget allows it... The only thing that worries me about it is "early adopters syndrome"

~ Gos

Just to be clear ripping video in its native form takes no special processing power. Only converting it does. Let's not keep including ripping in the high power application category!

For FSX the nod definitely goes toward i7. If you can hold off until the next stepping or 32nm that would be ideal.

Hey, thanks for all the great suggestions. I'm trying to keep the budget for the CPU, Mobo and memory around $700, but its flexible. I'll be moving my e5200 to my HTPC. Sounds like the i7 may be the way to go for me since I'm a Flight Sim X junkie. But does anybody know when the 32nm will be coming out? And for ripping movies to the TS format, what is that dependant on if not the CPU?

Thanks!

I think the rule is: all quads kinda get invalidated by the i7. Cyber powerpc offers a decent i7 rig for under 1000 dollars. You can do similar on newegg yourself. In short, if you want a quad core rig, you're being kinda dumb for getting anything less.

if you want dual, go e8500 and overclock it.

for pure gaming, dual is best, but for everything else (even just fiddling about in windows and the like) i7 seems the sweet spot. I'd also go ahead and see if you can get your hands on al ow end ssd drive just to run windows off of for that extra performance!

Cool, do you guys know if there will be a p58 or some mid-range chipset for the i7 anytime soon?

I think the rule is: all quads kinda get invalidated by the i7. Cyber powerpc offers a decent i7 rig for under 1000 dollars. You can do similar on newegg yourself. In short, if you want a quad core rig, you're being kinda dumb for getting anything less.
I wouldn't go as far as saying that. If you're on a budget, it wouldn't be a bad idea at all to pick up a cheap Q6600 or similar. I've seen them down in the $150 range here in the classies.

matai,
it is going to be a midrange platform, different socket then current i7's. things are a bit hazy this morning but i recall reading a while back the midrange neha's will be out Q1-09.

hmm never know, maybe intel wants to milk the high-end LGA1366 platform more...

I wouldn't go as far as saying that. If you're on a budget, it wouldn't be a bad idea at all to pick up a cheap Q6600 or similar. I've seen them down in the $150 range here in the classies.

Price is still a factor for many, so I agree, it's not dumb to avoid getting an i7. I got an amazing deal on an ASUS P5Q-E and 8GB of PC2-1000, so a Q9550 is right up my alley.

To answer the OP's question though, ripping video to just the normal VOB files or TS folders on the discs is mostly dependent on the speed of your drive. CPU only becomes a large factor when you have the ripped video on your hard drive, and you want to encode it to something else. For example, taking a ripped VOB file and turning it into an XViD.

if you want dual, go e8500 and overclock it.

for pure gaming, dual is best, but for everything else (even just fiddling about in windows and the like) i7 seems the sweet spot. I'd also go ahead and see if you can get your hands on al ow end ssd drive just to run windows off of for that extra performance!

I wouldn't run Windows off a low end SSD drive. They have horrid write-performance.

But does anybody know when the 32nm will be coming out?

In your case waiting for 32nm might be a long time to wait. However, a new stepping might be out in just a few months. We can hope a new stepping will bring lower vcore requirements, cooler temps, and better OCs, but obviously nothing is guaranteed. I'm waiting for the next stepping or perhaps 32nm depending on how things pan out.

Back