• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to overclocking, please help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HollyManolly

So yea, it's just like the title says.. I got a new machine, and I'm looking to maximize it's performance.. Did a little bit of google-ing, downloaded CPU-Z, Prime95 and LinX, as well as Core Temp for measuring the temperature.. Did some huge test with LinX that lasted for 4 hours, all 8 cores were at 100% load and the highest temperature for them was under 60 C... I've read that the next step is to increase the frequency, but I don't want to damage anything, rolling on a budget here :) Here are some screenshots of my configuration , and I hope that you could assist me

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 49
A couple things you missed the SPD tab from CPU-z which we like to see to verify ram settings. That board you are using isn't going to give you a lot of headway, it's just not up to the task of running an 8 ore CPU overclocked.
That temp of 60 do you know if that is the socket temp or the core temp?
Could you use HWMonitor free instead, along with P95 blend test. This will put us all on the same page. Try a 20 minute run of P95 with HWMonitor free open and give us a screen shot, this will give us a lot of info we can use to assist you such as various min and max temps/volts.

Here's a guide for OCing that CPU you could read while P95 is running for 20 minutes. http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=688663

Using the monitoring apps listed keeps us all looking at same page...

Makes answering about overclocking an AMD cpu easier.

In bios disable C1/E, C6, Cool N Quiet, TurboCore (if there), Disable APM and in windows power manager set to "performance mode". Then do as below.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU Core Temps; which are n0w called Package Temps, fully visible.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

How to actually attach images to the forum and not use a link to some outside location where image is stored. Store the image within the forum.
attachment.php

So here's a screenshot of ram.. As i mentoined, I'm pretty much clueless about overclocking and can't find an option of running a test for a specified time amount.. Should I just let it run for 20 min and take a screenshot afterwards ? And thanks very much for your help :D

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 46
I don't think you can make signatures until you have 3 or 5 posts...

...but we need complete information about the system in question. Otherwise we may have to just guess at some answers.

You May Need Help = We Need Info to Help.
MOBO > Model and Bios version.
CPU & Cooler > Be Specific.
MEMORY > Manufacturer & P/N & Size.
POWER SUPPLY > Manufacturer & Wattage.
VIDEO CARD > Make/Model/How Many.
HDDs/Optical drives > How Many? SSD? Raid/No Raid?
SOUND DEVICE > Onboard or Add-in?
USB > Usb Devices Plugged to Mobo?
O/S > Win? SP? Linux?
Case > Brand/Model/Fans Installed?

So here's the screenshot after going through 20 min of Blend Test with Prime95

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 46
And yea, I cant find the C1/E setting in my BIOS.. I've updated it to the latest version from the official site. And HW Monitor is only showing temperatures for the whole package.. Be honest with me here, what are my chances of braking something ? :)

Right now you're at the limit of your cooling. TMPIN0 at 69° and package at 60° is about as high as we like to see themps. Running this way on a daily basis would be fine since there aren't too many programs tha'll load a CPU the way Prime 95 does. Now there are ways to maybe squeeze a bit more out of it but honestly with your current motherboard I don't know if it would be worth it. With a good aftermarket CPU cooler and decent airflow you might be able to get to 4.0 but that would be max.

So here's a screenshot of ram.. As i mentoined, I'm pretty much clueless about overclocking and can't find an option of running a test for a specified time amount.. Should I just let it run for 20 min and take a screenshot afterwards ? And thanks very much for your help :D

There is no way to set this program to run for a specific amount of time. You can do that, however, with another popular stress tester: OCCT

Holly,

You are going to be very limited with that motherboard from an overclocking standpoint when using an FX 8 core CPU like you have. That motherboard does not have strong power phase components and the VRM area between the socket and the back edge of the board has no heat sink for cooling. First, you should see if you are getting any thermal throttling at stock frequencies and voltages under strong stress.

Back