• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Day of Defeat... opinions...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vedder323

I see that you can buy this for $30 if you dont have Counter Strike. What do you guys thinbk of it? How does it compare to B field???

I think it's a good game but unfortunately also built on an antiquated engine. I didn't like it. BF1942 is better.

DoD for HL2, on the other hand, is gonna be something to drool over (I hope).

indeed, very good - certainly not worth that money, buy half-life, if you dont already have it - its much cheaper and then download DOD

Yup BF1942 owns DoD but for free you can't beat it. Just get Half-life and download it for free. Once you have Half-life there is a ton of mods. Better way to spend your money, you get multiple games in one and the one you were going to buy.

I used to like it a lot...I just don't like the changes that have been made.

If you really want to pay for it - shop around. I saw it for 20 bucks at one best buy, and 30 at another..

ninthebin said:
indeed, very good - certainly not worth that money, buy half-life, if you dont already have it - its much cheaper and then download DOD

i second that. or buy half life off a freind who dosnt play anymore. i gave my copy away awhile ago...sick of it. dod IS the reason to own halflife anymore though

DoD used to be fun. But it just lost it's fun factor for me. Back when it was in Beta is was a blast I could play Cain on there forever. Worth a download but not nearly as cool as Battlefield 1942.

In my opion DOD and BF1942 are totaly diferent games. DOD is more like CS, smaller maps, and based on trying to have realsitic WW2 close combat.

BF1942 that guns aren't so realistic the maps are HUGE and there are planes, ships, jeeps, and tanks... It depends realy what you want to do. And what you prefer. I like both games.

I would not buy DOD retail though. I would find half life and then get the DOD download.

Also the only way I play BF1942 is with the Desert Combat mod.

I like DOD for the less hits per kill. The Kar98 and Enfield kill in one shot - anywhere - . The Garand can also kill in one shot unless it hits a hand or foot. The Stg 44 takes about 3 bullets to kill a guy, while in BF1942, it takes about 10.

Another thing. No vehicles. I actually like that. In public BF1942 servers, I always get TK'ed when going for a plane, or if I actually take off, I always have 3 teammates on the ground spraying away at me. By the time I'm out of their range, 3/4 of my armor is gone. And tanks. I hate being a medic and suddenly running into a tank. I'm basically screwed at that point.

I understand that this mostly happens in public servers, but I don't have the time for organized squad play (although I wish I did, and summer's here in one day). Enemy Territory would be my favorite WW2 game if it wasn't for the spammed air strikes.

I liked the old DoD but the new version is cool too. I would definitely not buy it though. Find HL somewhere and download....

Back