• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Pentium G3258 (20th Anniversary Edition) Owner's thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well I went a bit voltage happy and got some results. 4.9ghz took 1.590v to do some quick benches. I then tried 5ghz which took a bucket of ice water and 1.800v on the core. I'm gonna try some more messing around tomorrow. I stopped because it's late and I was starting to build up condensation on the block and tubing, not alot but enough to keep an eye on it.

I will also try delidding and see if that helps, but it won't be for a while. Are they soldered on the die or just better tim application?

hwbotprime49gz_zps4d8e4b7a.jpg

5ghzsuperpiicewater_zpscb291b30.jpg

hwbotprime5ghz_zpsad21cf72.jpg

And my ice bucket setup.
20140713_014705_zps7788250a.jpg

My G3258 also has ~10*C difference between cores under load. If I won't find any better one soon then I will probably delid it. Comparing to most others, my chip is pretty good.
One tip for benching with ice in a bucket. Less water , more ice. Water is causing it to melt faster. Also if you have larger freezer then try to put there bigger cubes and it will also last longer.

hmm at most on mine under load is 3c difference between cores. I thought about deliding mine and using some Liquid metal pro or ultra but im still a bit iffy on deliding these. given that the gap there from the either the tim/thermal pad wont be there after. not sure how this would effect mounting the hs but i could use some washers on the back side of the screws to take up a bit of that space.

Last edited:
After delidding, IHS is not touching anything around except core. There is like 0.2 mm gap between IHS and PCB. You don't have to glue IHS back or use anything else ( can glue it back but it's not necessary ). Mounting mechanism is holding it in the correct place. Standard TIM is not much thicker than LCP. When you remove IHS then you will see that glue holding the IHS is thicker than TIM on the core.

what kind of temp drop did you see after delidding and replacing the tim? what tim did you use as well? lastly did you take any pics of what was there after delidding?

TD like what ? We have local distributor called Tech-Data where I'm often buying hardware for work. They are from Canada I think but their main bank for EU is in Norway.

Yeah sorry Tiger direct, just seems that anytime I buy something there it's a dud. I don't know if it has something to do with their buying techniques or my luck. They're also always pricier than CC and I wanna support the little guy.

I'm thinking what Z97 board to get but list is really short as there is nothing interesting on the market. 100+ Z97 boards and nothing really good.
ASUS has only cheaper series and Gene but I'm not sure what to think about it after mixed comments about Z87 Gene. Not many overclockers are making results on Z97 for some reason.
ASRock has nothing that could beat Z87 series.
EVGA has nothing good and nothing in reasonable price.
Gigabyte has only SOC series so 2 boards almost the same. Still seems like best idea.
MSI has nothing good as always.
Other manufacturers are almost not counting.

I'm just going to run it on the M6 Hero, I have no intention at this poit to get a DC so it would be a waste for me.

Thanks Spawn-inc , there's no outlet here in London. I'm pretty patient , been beating up my AMD stuff lately. I know CC wil get them before long.

I'm just going to run it on the M6 Hero, I have no intention at this poit to get a DC so it would be a waste for me.

Point is that I was overclocking DC on Z87 and Z97 and I see no special difference. Z87M OCF was actually overclocking my 4690K slightly better than Z97M OCF ( Z87 needed slightly lower voltage for the same clock ). I also haven't seen any difference in max memory clock.
Some Z97 boards look worse than Z87 like GB Z97 SOC cost the same as Z87X-OC but Z97 has less CPU power phases, ASRock Z97M OCF is much worse than Z87M OCF what I already mentioned couple of times in last days. I bet the same is with some other boards so I would keep M6H as changing board is just a waste of money in this case.

Thanks for clarifying that Woomack. I was wondering if the DC would run on Z87 but "need" Z97 to perform. Maybe a more mature BIOS might help that but seems it's OK none the less.

Thanks for clarifying that Woomack. I was wondering if the DC would run on Z87 but "need" Z97 to perform. Maybe a more mature BIOS might help that but seems it's OK none the less.

When I was testing my 4690K on Z87M OCF then 1.60 BIOS from last year was better in memory OC than latest beta 1.61 with "improvements" for DC. I don't think you actually need new BIOS so it perform any better. There is new microcode but new CPUs are generally the same as old. I was also running G3258 without any issues on a last year BIOSes and both, board and system were recognizing it without issues.

I think that manufacturers just try to find a way to sell more boards as Z97 is not bringing anything better except added M.2 and SATA Express ( if anyone needs that ). M.2 SSD are almost not available on the market and these models that are in stores are not better than SATA versions.
I also have no idea what's with these "gaming" LAN cards. In theory it's great but I have no issues on a standard Intel LAN so why should I pay premium for something that is called gaming LAN.
Recently I was trying software added to ASRock board to optimize LAN and I only saw problems with stable connection and network bandwidth was dropping to 0 kbps every couple of minutes.

That's good to know about the bios a well Woomack, it's funny I'm actually using a very early bios for the MH6 right now, older than the one it shipped with and found it to work very well. I'll have to try it out when I get my anniversary chip

http://valid.canardpc.com/v3ewl3
CPU@ 5.744GHz ~1.8V with RAM@2700+ 10-12-12-28 1N

It's making me sad as this Pentium is better on cold than any of my i5 or i7 even though it needs higher voltage under 5GHz ( and I tested at least 12-15 different i5/i7 on cold ).

Gigabyte Z97X-SOC Force has some issues. For some reason I couldn't make CPU ratio change on any LN2 BIOS and standard BIOS has voltage limit to 1.8V. I would probably push it to 1.9V or something near.

Last edited:
Back