• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vista locks CPU multiplier

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Firestrider

I set my CPU multiplier to 8x in BIOS and according to CPU-Z it's changed back to 6x when I get into windows... Is there anyway I can fix this?

I'd say Speedstep, but you appear to have an AMD processor. Does AMD's Cool&Quiet do the same thing with the multi? I'm not sure how the idle back works on that technology

Last edited:
This is for a friend's E6750, I tried disabling SpeedStep by going into Power Options and putting it at High Performance, and my Processor Power Management min/max is 100%.

I think it is possible to control speedstep in windows. My old compaq armada has speedstep on its 850 MHz P3... so the windows tool must be around for a while... Also, is it possible that this is from a dead cmos battery?

It is Intels speedstep. Go in BIOS - disable C1E and/or EIST ... although, I recommend leaving it enabled. This way your CPU is not running @ full clock speed when it is not needed ( creating less heat and saving energy ). When playing games or any other CPU intensive activities you'll notice your computer runs at the full clock speed.

Side note:
I actually ran 3D Mark with speedstep enabled and disabled to see if my score would decrease and I saw little to no difference in performance.

Last edited:
It is Intels speedstep. Go in BIOS - disable C1E and EIST.

thank you, i couldnt remember the EIST one....

btw, i think there are numerous threads on this and possibly a sticky? someone got a link to help explain it to the OP? (not trying to be an ***, just help the OP understand it)

It is Intels speedstep. Go in BIOS - disable C1E and EIST . I recommend leaving it enabled. This way your CPU is not running @ full clock speed when it is not needed ( creating less heat and saving energy).

but causes headaches if your trying to overclock, so if overclocking, disable

Folders are maxed all the time. If you fold then its useless anyway ;)

but causes headaches if your trying to overclock, so if overclocking, disable

Now that depends on the motherboard actually.

Past boards that I had either wouldn't let it be enabled or it was set at a set voltage.

On my Abit IP35 Pro at least when speed step is enabled, now depending on what voltage your CPU can run at at said speeds, it works nicely for me. Where voltages nearly match what they would be in speedstep mode (a bit higher) as if I was setting it in the bios at said speed/voltage.

Thought it is recommenced to disable it because as said til you fully test the CPU it can cause stability issues considering with the lower voltages at X speed when it is slowed down. I know my E6400 can run 2.4 prime stable at 1.1V stable so enabling speedstep for me is nice just to keep lower temps and reduced voltages and less power usage overall (not much but every bit helps)

Back