• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radeon R9 290X DirectCU II OC, 4 Displays

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

parklane79

Hello, I have an R9 290X that is set up for four displays for a flight simulator. I have a dvi->hdmi adapter on both dvi ports and a display port->hdmi adapter. Whenever a fourth monitor is plugged in, one of the other monitors is disabled. I thought the card supported 4 monitors? Does anyone have an idea for what is going on?

Thank You

wrong forum. (Earthdog moved to AMD GPU).

but looks like you need an active display cable, as normal cable are passive.
I had this problem with my old 7970 going from 2 montiors to 4, the active display cable solved my problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought I bought an active display cable. I will try getting a new one and seeing what happens.

Sorry about posting in the wrong forum, must have clicked new thread on the wrong tab I had open.

That looks to be a passive adapter.
When you get an active adapter it is typically very clearly stated "HDMI to DisplayPort Active Adapter" instead of just "HDMI to DisplayPort Adapter"

Yeah, you need an active adapter. If you're doing four monitors, you'll need two. Eyefinity can use a maximum of two non-displayport connections.

Yeah, you need an active adapter. If you're doing four monitors, you'll need two. Eyefinity can use a maximum of two non-displayport connections.

What's the difference between the two and why can you only use actives to create a four screen display? (Btw, I like your profile pic Phatty. \m/)

What's the difference between the two and why can you only use actives to create a four screen display? (Btw, I like your profile pic Phatty. \m/)

Thanks.
It's just how it works. That link explains it all. I ended up going with displayport monitors all-around, so I don't have to worry about it anymore.

Back