• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Weird Video Card Issue Maybe?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ANIMASANA

Hey guys,

I wouldn't normally be posting this early on in my troubleshooting and I have some limited information but I will provide more when I have time to get it.

When I got home my PC was off. It usually runs 24/7. I was getting a windows error message that was popping at the login screen last night but I couldn't capture it. I think something memory related. \

Anyhow, when I powered on I was getting the option to boot to UEFI. I hit reset, got the windows squares for loading but then the machine was hanging. So I powered down.

I have a Radeon R9 series (Not sure the exact model right now, this PC just had it's 9th birthday not too long ago.) The video card is probably going on 6 at this point. Again, not sure. Will find out if relevant.

Anyhow, I've always had weird issues with this machine where it's not detecting my monitors on display adapter or DVI. Long story, but basically powering down everything completely usually gets them back, like monitors, everything. I thought it was a pairing issue or some weird compatibility issue with ASUS monitors that I had no intention of figuring out since they work most of the time and usually only happen when the machine goes to sleep, which it almost never does because I'm usually running something.

So....... ugh sorry about this long rant, I got back into Windows by unplugging everything from the video card and running one monitor over DVI from the mobo. But I'm not seeing the AMD drivers running and the card is not listed in device manager.

Possibly looking at a bad video card here?

Just looking for some quick tips right now since i actually have a lot do to other than worry about this bad boy right now. Just need to use it.

Any thoughts or suggestions on where to start and save myself some time would be appreciated. This is an upgraded card. I have the old one still and it should be functional.

THANKS SO MUCH <3

:)

So it'll boot from the iGP of the CPU. Is there still power plugged into the video card? If there is it should still show in device manager.

Hey thanks for the reply. It did. Last night it would not. Just got windows squares and hang before login. So I decided best to tear down, clean and rebuild for now. See what happens. I'm on my phone. I will put something else with laptop later. Pretty sure it's the XFX R9 380. Will try boot with the older card and update.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

I forgot to answer the question: yes, power to the card. Actually wondering if I had something hooked up wrong. I ran this card for awhile I think without enough power actually. Like years lol. I'm an amateur but it seemed to be working so hey whatever. Just didnt have a lot of time to go crazy with it and been working on other things.

Full system specs to come. I have time to work in this today and need it back badly.

Just want to say I'm sorry that I haven't been more active in the forums. I was gaming. My bad. Lots to learn and work on. Thanks so much for the help. Crap cleaning with canned air done. Working in a few things.

I haven't decided if I should clear CMOS yet. Gonna look at this later. Only reason I mention above is because the old timers here literally got me started in this when I was still waiting in line at the library. Thank you so much to any of those that see this.

At this point, it is looking like the card is the problem but should rule out the board and PSU if possible. If it almost gets to Windows then sounds like it's crashing when the driver loads. You can try another slot on the board but is your PSU modular? Can you try different cables or power positions on the PSU?

At this point, it is looking like the card is the problem but should rule out the board and PSU if possible. If it almost gets to Windows then sounds like it's crashing when the driver loads. You can try another slot on the board but is your PSU modular? Can you try different cables or power positions on the PSU?

There is a moral to this story: Clean often and remove things from your life that are unnecessary. In this case cabling for airflow and dirty things that have built up over time.

I did move the GFX card down a slot and once all the general sensible maintenance had been done we are back for more fun. :)

Reset all settings to default also just in case. For now I am more worried about not having to be on my phone when I leave work!

Thanks so much for the thoughtful replies.

Will update if anything changes!

Ya sorry I could drop my poetic dumbness.

I cleaned, redid thermal on CPU, moved the gfx card down a slot, reseated everything, rerouted all and removed any unnecessary cabling and everything seems to be good.

I haven't overclocked CPU or RAM yet. I don't need performance at the moment just a functional computer that's not a laptop.

My sense is maybe due to all the debris behind the mobo things were grounding / shorting out where they shouldn't be. Only working theory at the moment. If that didn't cause any sever damage which seems it hasn't I'm happy and functional again.

Back