• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI 290 Dying

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oneeye69

Registered
Well I bought a MSI 290 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127774 about 2 months ago. It was a much quieter option from the sapphire 290 that I bought when the reference cards were the only option I had. Well the last few weeks I have noticed that it was hitting 94 Deg. with 100 percent fan. So after a month and a half the fans are dyeing. Im sooo not impressed with this card at this point and will request an RMA for it. Hopefully MSI has fixed the fan problem, but I see this problem in other places. Luckily I have a replacement to run for now. :(

The 550D case does hold a lot of heat and could be causing the gpu to overheat. Do you have the optional side fans installed?

Yes I have side fans 2x 140mm blowing on the card and 2 intake and one exsaust fan on a fan controller, not to mention the 2 120s on the top for the radiator. There is a lot of air flow! I just put my sapphire 290 back in with a referance cooler and it is running at 75 deg. with the fan running at 60 percent. Same game and overall situation. Like I said before the MSI card ran at no hotter than 75 for the first month and a half with no problems at all.

Check the backplate screws. Quite a few people have found the backplate screws on the MSI R9 290 GAMING aren't actually tightened at all.

Mine was running at 85-90C with 85-90% fan speed when I got it. After tightening all the loose screws, it now runs at 80-85C with 60-65% fan speed.

When you get your new one I would completely disassemble put some good TIM on it and reassemble.

Sounds like thy are having some quality issues at the manufacturing level

When you get your new one I would completely disassemble put some good TIM on it and reassemble.

Sounds like thy are having some quality issues at the manufacturing level

Disassembly may void the warranty. Some manufacturers will permit you to reapply the tim, I'm not sure about MSI.

Maybe give them a call and see.

That is standard operating procedure for every card I get.

I put it in the slot to verify operation then clean up the factory debacle

From what I've heard MSI are fine with you replacing the TIM as long as it's all put back together correctly etc. There is a sticker on one of the screws that says warranty void if removed but apparently that doesn't matter.

Worth checking with MSI in your country/region though to make sure.

When I asked MSI last time then they said me that removing warranty sticker will void the warranty ... and they put stickers on every card right now, even Lightnings. ASUS support doesn't care as far as card/PCB isn't damaged, scratched etc.

I sent the card in and I called MSI, I asked if they were replaciing the fans with the same fan and the guy said that they were replacing it with an updated fan set. Do you have any idea if they have fixed this issue or were they just blowing smoke? This card was a beast for a month and a half so im kinda dissapointed with this outcome. Hopefully the RMA replacment will hod up better!

I have a stupid Question for you guys. I have a card that needs 2 8 pin connectors and the connectors I have 8 and 6. can I just use the 8 pin connectors from 2 different wire sets? The 12v rail is all together.

Well I received my RMA from MSI today and It works great. Nice low temps and quiet. I hope the fans hold up better than the last ones. only time will tell. I thought it was going to be a long process so I picked up a Sapphire 290 vapor X oc, and it is truely a beast. I want to see if I can fit both of these cards in and CF them. Well maybe I should wait till it getts cold to I can use my gaming rig to heat the house.

Back