• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm Dead, my CPU just chipped!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think i chiped the corner of my chip, but it works just fine. Might have been when i was using my chrome orb, but iv got a FOP 32 now.

Moment of silence for the poor CPU...

I think i chiped the corner of my chip, but it works just fine. Might have been when i was using my chrome orb, but iv got a FOP 32 now.

Moment of silence for the poor CPU...

Double post, sorry

what does it do when you try to boot it? Does it beep endlessly? Did you remove the fan with a screwdriver, and if so if you happened to slip and hit the mobo you could have trashed it. I have seen this more than once even though the mobo has no damage to the naked eye, a land could have been nicked

Yea I have (had) a Golden Orb and a tbird 800 greenie that I bought when they were very new. I had heard that the origonal golden orb designed for the celeron, I believe, was bad for AMD chips but that there was a version designed for tbirds. Well I found a site selling "AMD Gorbs" and ordered one. Apparently they were full of ****. I am still using the same CPU but the entire outside edge is now broken away and the corners rounded. I am surprized as hell that it still runs. I finally got rid of that Gorb (it's sitting in front of me on my desk) and got a Thermoengine. I was surprized at the lesser preassure it applied to the core because I am used to the HUGE preassure the Gorb gives.....but the cooling is WAAAAAYYYYY better.

One thing I wanna point out to the guy who said that it's not the manufacturers fault because you can modify your orb. Well first off a good product shouldn't need to be altered to work right and second most people don't know there is a danger till it's too late so why would they alter it if they didn't know the problem beforehand?
Just my opinion of course. <shrugs>

And to think I went out and bought and installed one today!!!
It worked great for me. Went on no problem and dropped 8 degrees off the temp. Got me over a gig.
I guess as long as I don't have to remove it I'm safe.
How did you find that it worked when it was on your machine?

Heh, there is no "master cooler" for AMD chips. They *ALL* crack cores, and if you think that the heatsink you have is "safe" then you're just waiting to get burned. Whenever I put my heatsink on, I always try to do it as easy as possible, with no nonsense involved. AMD CPUs are not good if you're planning on popping the heatsink off every couple hours. I guarantee that if you're doing that, your chip will be toast within a month or so. You're hand will slip and the heatsink will torque down onto the core and GAME OVER.

Forget shims and stuff, the best way to keep your core safe is just to take the utmost care when attaching your heatsink. That and try to avoid attaching and detaching it too often. That said, if you're going to be doing anything to your Heatsink (change fans, etc) take it OFF! Do *NOT* try to change fans with the Heatsink on the CPU. Once again, you're just asking for a dead CPU.

I've busted/cooked 3 good chips...Two chipped (a tb800 and a d800) and cooked a TB800 with a bloody superorb and a shim (the rim on the orb rested on the shim...no contact..sizzle sizzle). All of these have been my own fault...not the chip..not the hsf..not God and not unholy planet alignment...
Looking on the brighter side it has forced me to upgrade...now got a TB1200 running solidly at 1450...need some better cooling though:D

hey guys...my chip died to bcoz i tried to take out that stupid ORB...now i have to try and get warranty for it..bought it a week ago..so i think i could get that warranty.. : )
anyway...bcoz of that i have discovered how to take that
F**kin orb out..but to those who just wanna know..face the clip to u..press it down and just push it back a lil...then its out..no need to put in much effort too..
too bad i disciverd this a lil too late...damn!

Shims are bad for cooling? I want some proof because testers/reviewers indicate that it actually protects the CPU from being crushed or chipped. I want to know your finding or side of the story because I'm thinking of buying a shim very soon.

my temp goes up 2C when i have my shim in place with my FOP38

but i hear if your cooling with a peltier that it helps alot

its more of a game of weather you want a chiped pu that runs a degree or 2 higher

or you take alot of care with your chip when installing a HS/Fan and get the most cooling your cooler can provide

Johnniest5 (Mar 28, 2001 09:22 a.m.):
Dang, I'm so angry. Last night, I was trying to change heatsink/fan and I chipped my CPU's dye a little and it's now a dead CPU! I'm not sure if that's the problem or the motherboard itself. It's not totally cracked, but just chipped very little at one of the corners/sides and now my A7V133 no longer works.

Have anybody have their CPU chipped a little and still works? How much is it safe to chip? I mean, come on, AMD, you can't make a CPU that holds the transistors at the very end of the dye and any chips would harm or kill the CPU instantly. I can't believe what I just did. I'm not sure if I'm more mad at the AMD CPU or myself.

Dang, these socketed CPU sucks! Why not going back to Slot CPU, huh? I just hate it so much and angry/mad at myself at the same time.

take out the ram and boot up- it should make a few error beeps-that resets the computer(i touched the fan power to ground and then my cpu would not even power up-boot w/o the ram and it reset. try it then clear the cmos-YES i chiped mine while changing the HS and it still works--HAVE FAITH

Back