• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HP dv6000 laptop - Worth repairing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kaeldre

Registered
I've had this HP dv6000 entertainment laptop since around 2009. I had it for less than a year and a half before the graphics chip decided to fry. I hung onto the computer (mainly for sentimental reasons as it got me through my first year in college) as it's still functional.

I would like to repair it and turn it into a Linux machine, but I'm not sure if it's even worth repairing. I've heard from numerous people that laptops are a pain to work with and there's a huge possibility that accidents will happen.

Should I sell it for scrap? Donate it? Attempt to fix it?

How much money are you willing to potentially waste?

Is a MB off Ebay for the NC6000 =/= that limit?

Many years ago, I pulled a 32" LCD out of the trash, I plugged it in and saw that it had a good screen but it didnt work otherwise. I took a chance and spent ~100.00 for a couple parts and figured that worst case, I was out $100. It is still in use to this day.

Do some research to see what the parts will cost, see if you can find a service manual for the specific model laptop (post it and I will try to locate and link it), if you feel comfortable spending X amount and are willing to potentially have nothing to show for it, then go for it.

I've looked on eBay, and the motherboard (sometimes with the graphics chip, sometimes without) ranges between $40 and $100.

Back