• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for Advice, Need a laptop for university

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kamran

I need a Lightweight laptop for my university (Electronics engineering, It's very unlikely but I also might get accepted in another other university and study computer science!).

My budget is 1000$~

My requirements are:

1. Battery life
2. Weight (I'm a wuss and I thought the 13" macbook was heavy c: but I guess I can get used to it! so anything around the same weight is fine)
3. Screen quality! (IPS 1080p+ 13"+)
4. Lasting a long time so I don't have to pay 1000$ again in 2 years or so D:
5. Linux compatibility
6. Any i5+ seems fine to me. I'll be running a few IDEs.

My current choice is HP Spectre x360. but After googling I found out HP isn't very good and that the Spectre x360 has WiFi - Trackpad - Touchscreen issues and some people complained about their display flickering. my brother's 8 year old HP's display started flickering after 2 years so... I'm not really sure if it's a good choice. although the same model just with the i7 didn't have any issues (my old laptop which is as thick as a coin and weights 2.5kg without a battery) also I heard it heats a lot

The other choice was one of asus UX series (they're very similiar. the ux 330 430 305 and most of them seem fine to me. one of them had a WQHD display which seems scary to me considering the price and the fact that some people say those have Fake wqhd displays that look worse than 1080p) but the Displays use PWM for brightness and apparently give you a headache. also the hinge appears to get damaged quickly.

The dell XPS 15-13 other than ghosting are perfect for me. sadly I couldn't find them here ;(

Lenovo X1 carbon is realllly expensive but it's kinda perfect! Googling shows that it has issues too.

Lenovo yoga has a loud fan :(

Macbook pr 13" costs a bit too much and I can only afford the 128gb version. but considering I have a pretty good and powerful PC at home maybe I can live with that!

Do you have any Suggestions? am I being nitpicky? are the issues with the HP laptops just a few minority?

Thanks <3 ^_^

Last edited:
You can google almost every laptop and component and come up with multiple cases where there have been issues with almost everything out there. Find you one that you like and would do the job and go from there. If you get it and it does turn out to have a problem that is where your warrantee will come in handy.

Find you one with the specs you need and that is within your price range and go for it.

That is only my opinion though.

You can google almost every laptop and component and come up with multiple cases where there have been issues with almost everything out there. Find you one that you like and would do the job and go from there. If you get it and it does turn out to have a problem that is where your warrantee will come in handy.

Find you one with the specs you need and that is within your price range and go for it.

That is only my opinion though.

Ok thanks c: although some of them said it happened after a year etc. But I think I'm overthinking.

but a core m D: I'd also want the 246gb since i need win and also Ubuntu (in vm maybe!)

I think ux430 sounds like a really nice option. nothing seems wrong with it or maybe ux330 but the 330 has huge bezels!

or maybe just the spectre x360! MacBook only has a single port D:

Too sad I can't play OW and WOW on them (or some other games) when I"m bored outside.

also I can't buy from that website as I live in middle east :(

- - - Updated - - -

If you look at slickdeals regular MacBook 12 is going for about $900 or so and that's your best bet. Indestructable, no moving parts, no fans, and a HDR QHD screen

https://slickdeals.net/f/10428008-a...-2016-model?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1

Last edited:
Back