• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xoops, Mambo or Postnuke

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Enablingwolf

Senior Member overclocking at t
I moved hosts and seem to be able to install the applications to manage content on my site. Seems pretty simple./

I know how to get XHTML up, and some external css going. :eh?: One thing I never tried my hand at was one of these content apps.

Which one would be good for the curious to start out with. While keeping power for a life of a site without much hassle in the learning phase. I am not into overly flashy sites. The hardest load I put on my current design is a private image gallery. I want to be able to automate the signups and such. .htaccess is dandy, but gets to be a pain after a time. I have not managed any of the apps, so I am hitting anyone up that will answer. :D

Any info provided would be greatly appreciated. My knowledge of php is limited.

Why do you not like Postnuke? Input is valued in my questioning. Even if it is bias for some reason. You never know, I may agree with why you don't like it.

If you do know, how hard is it to custom theme drupal? What makes it a a good manager? Least comapred to others out there.

Woo hooo my dns just resolved. Now I can actually look at what each one offers. Input about likes and dislikes is valued here. :D

Postnuke just seems overly complicated. same for PHPNuke. I don't know exactly what it is, it's just something i don't like.

As for Drupal. It's very simple to theme out and customize. There's one css file and then their are a few layout files that are simple to modify if you know PHP. I also believe there are theming addons that allow you to sorta GUI theme your site. But one of the coolest things about Drupal is "Block" creation. You can literally swipe and paste code into the Admin->Block->Create Block portion of the Admin section and BAM you have a new block. It's a very versatile CMS. Again, this a personal prefference. I'm sure other people will suggest other solutions for you.

I tried the Postnuke. I was not impressed. Sure it seems all fancy schmancy. I am not a blogger. I want an easy way to get content in and add or substarct page content. While making it look like a website. :shrug: I am still going to keep it installed though.

Next one up is Mambo..

I have like 24 programs to check out. I got the Godaddy Deluxe package. I haxe plenty of bandwidth and space to fool with. So it is easy as clicking a link for me. lol I might end up doing my XHTML\CSS thing. My trusty notepad. I wanted to try and get over to php though. This seems an easy way to start.

Any comments good or bad are still wanted about CMS. Any input given so far has been helpful. As I get to it I will be trying a peek at any suggested software.

i have a website running mambo, remember mambo split up and theres two different apps runing on the same core code. google that. i really like the mambo forums, quick help. i would recomend mambo

I tried the Mambo and Joomla. Both were nice to use. Somethings didn't just sit right. Like the one poster mentioned it is hard to put in words why one does not like a cms. Both the Joomla and Mambo has some sweet features. I got pretty far with them to, until I found the limits in what I am really looking for.

I tried the Drupal. I could not get the MySQL to connect for some reason. I said what the heck and looked at a few more and settled on php-fusion for the time bieng. So far it seems to fit my needs. I am hoping I can run two instances on one instal., Since I am going to be hosting my Father in laws site also. Be nice to have just one install.

Back