• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Running 110 off the PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kiwiness

Really Hates OCF Classifieds Member (Blame Ross)
Im doing a custom build, and im not that knowledgeable when it comes to modding PSUs. Im mounting a lcd monitor inside a tower and it runs off your standard 110 power cable, i was wondering if there was anyway to have that 110 run off the same 110 that powers the PSU? or is there anyway to power the monitor off a 12v from the psu?

Why not just have the power management on the monitor put it in standby after say 10 mins of idle?

I'm sure its possible but that is not my forte and just seems not worth it to me considering the alternative.

Well I'm looking to have just one power cable on the whole rig, instead of one for the monitor and one for the tower. Just trying to have minimal cables running out the back of mybtower

'braid' them together...(literally twist the sleeved cords together... K.I.S.S)

Last edited:
Modding the PSU isn't the way to go about it, as the mains power (be it 110, 220, 240, whatever, AC) is always-on.

Now if you would like the monitor to have a hard power cut when you turn the computer off that is quite doable.

Grab a relay with contacts rated for at least 5 amps AC and a coil rated for 12v.

Run the monitor power from the outside world into the case, through said relay, and to the monitor.

Take a 12V output from the PSU and wire that to power the relay coil.

Turn computer on, 12V turns on relay, turns on mains to monitor. Presto!

Now, the disclaimer:
Messing with mains AC is a great way to get yourself killed and start fires. If you aren't familiar with it, relays, AC safety, and electrical wiring in general you really really shouldn't be messing with it.

Bonus disclaimer: Mains AC is safer that the primary side of the PSU, it's even easier to kill yourself with if you open it too soon and touch the wrong spots, or if the bleed resistor is dead and you touch the wrong spots.

Now that we're past the disclaimer:
You could crack the PSU open and source the mains AC from the inner side of the PSU power plug. This would reduce cables at the cost of opening the PSU (not the safest thing) and doing even more messing with mains AC.

EDIT:
Easiest way to do what you would would be to get an LCD aimed at automotive use. They're 12v.

or just bring it over and we will get it powered off of the 12v. lol

Okay, I was talking with a buddy, he was talking about bypassing the 110 on the monitor circuit board and soldering a 12v molex connector to it and power te monitor that way. You think it's do able that way?

I think its easier and much safer to twist the cords together (Viola! One cord!) and call it a day.

Good Luck! :)

Cable ties are definitely easier and safer.
As to hacking up the monitor, that really depends on the monitor.
The last one I took apart took mains AC and made it into 19v, 5v, and 3.3v.

the monitor is already hacked up :) it is in the side of a computer case with no shell.

Wagex knows what he's up to, it sounds like he has a solid grasp on the power bits and what they do.

Yeha im not worried about hacking up the monitor im using, its just an old 17 inch levono i brought from work for like $1 :)

I remember power supplies that had a second socket for 110 power to monitors. Do not remember if this predated 110/220V switching. Which could get dangerous.

That said, if the monitor runs on 12V it would seem molex plug is the easiest answer.
I know I have owned monitors (LCD?) using 12v bricks. I have purchased 12V 6A monitor bricks from amazon for Lepai amplifiers. Good chance old monitor is 12V.
Good luck with modifications.

You could always use a outlet strip, after you shut down the PC, hit the switch on outlet strip and everything is off. You will still have 2 power cords :)

Belkin power switch

Last edited:
Yeah I still want to get it down to just one power cable, hoping to catch up with wagex today and have it run off molex connector, then all I need to do is flick the switch on the psu and everything is off

I remember power supplies that had a second socket for 110 power to monitors. Do not remember if this predated 110/220V switching. Which could get dangerous.

That said, if the monitor runs on 12V it would seem molex plug is the easiest answer.
I know I have owned monitors (LCD?) using 12v bricks. I have purchased 12V 6A monitor bricks from amazon for Lepai amplifiers. Good chance old monitor is 12V.

That was before SMPS type PSUs, in those days the mains AC went into the PSU, out the front of the PSU to the power switch (which was a switch, not a momentary button) and then back to the PSU.

A very very few select SMPS units had that monitor port, most of them it was always-on, a few had a relay that turned it on/off.

This has no brick sadly, but wagex said we can bypass the 110 plug and all that with just a couple of mods to the board

Back