• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

trying to dual boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

imaboutaquit

hello all, i'm trying to set up my pc for a dual boot system and i'm having some problems. First, can i set up my single 20 gig drive with fdisk? I cant figure out how to create 2 primary dos drives so both can be bootable-is this even what I should be doing? Next, will i be able to do this using win98se full version for 1 partition and xp home upgrade for the other? yes, both are legal purchased copies. can i just install 98 on both and upgrade the one i want to? I dont really want to purchase partitioning software if i can do this thru fdisk. any help appreciated!

Just make two partitions using fdisk. The primary partition should be the one you want 98se on. Install 98se on the primary partition after you format it. Then put in the xp cd and it will ask you what partition to install xp on, install it on the partition that 98 isn't on. XP's integrated boot manager will detect both and ask you which you want to use when you turn on your computer. Good Luck!

In addition to mdcomp's suggestion, (I'll just reiterate my reply to AMD900, since both of your questions are in regards to setting up a dual boot with XP)...

One of the best and most thorough articles I've read on dual booting WinXP with other MS OS's (Win95 OSR2/98/Me, W2K/NT 4.0/NT 3.51, and also MS-DOS/Win 3.x) can be found in the MSKB, at the following site...

HOW TO: Create a Multiple-Boot System in Windows XP ;)

Thanks, I think i've got this straight but its the least of my troubles now! Now that i've reformatted, xp wont finish the upgrade, saying there is a hardware incompatibility with my gf4 ti4200(msi). I dont know why because it was working fine before!!! Man, this is EXACTLY why I wanted a dual boot system! My wife is VERY happy!LOL

try installing another GC during the Windows Setup, then after everything's completed, reinstall the GF4. If you don't have another card, try to borrow one from a friend or something ...

Yeah, thats exactly what i just did. I have fdisk'd and formatted so many times in the last few days, i can see the dos prompt when i close my eyes! ran a clean install with the 4200 and xp wouldnt load. Fdisk and reformat again with my kids
radeon 7200 and its ok. Went in after and uninstalled ATI driver, reinstalled the 4200 and thats what im typing on now. WAY too much hassle! MSI is getting an e-mail! So much for a fully compliant card. Dont get me wrong, I love it but it should work without going thru all this. Not sure if its because of the upgrade disc or maybe its an early xp version(version 2002 on the disc) because I did buy it shortly after it came out. Who knows?

Back