• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Taskbar in Win ME going acting weird... slow.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jerky

I just reformatted my hd and reloaded Win ME, and all my backed up software etc. but i noticed that after i loaded either my direct x 8.1, or 29.42 nvidia drivers that my taskbar started acting weird. it's going really slow when you pull the pointer away and it's supposed to hide in an instant. also when i drag open windows (before they are maximized) they almost show a trail behind them?
does anyone know how to get rid of this problem or how i created it?
i think it might be because i loaded direct x 8.1 BEFORE downloading my 29.42 drivers from nvidia.com. could that be the reason it's acting weird? what do i have to do to fix it?

i downloaded all my win me critical updates etc..

any help would be greatly appreciated.

abit at7
evga geforce 4 ti 4200
soundblaster live! value with drivers from creative.com
generic 512/2100 ddr ram (that has performed quite well so far for the 6 months i've owned it)
western digital 80 gig 8mb cache hd
Win ME

Last edited:
maybe check that the right drivers for the graphics card are being used, the latest Me jobbie...

and then there's direct x, I remember when an installation killed my system

try re-installing them

me thinks Me can be twitchie at times.... I had a job to get my sound blaster card working

thanks for both of the replies.

ummm... first to start off, i don't know what's going on here.

i uninstalled the ME 29.42 drivers, and reinstalled them, i even re-downloaded them, and it still does the same thing after they are loaded... the taskbar is real slow to retract and when i drag windows across the screen they leave a trail behind them?? but if the drivers are not installed the task bar retracts perfectly.

i even used detonator destroyer and reinstalled the 29.42ME drivers after i got rid of them completely. i don't know wtf is going on.

i know i have the right drivers and everything is set up right.

i wonder if it's the riva tuner i downloaded?
i tried to get rid of riva tuner (and go back to powerstrip) but iT seems i cannot uninstall riva tuner?? maybe that is the problem. does anyone know how to uninstall rivatuner?

that is some odd stuff. just for the heck of it. try installing another driver like the 3030. it wont give you an answer as to why this is happening but it might save you some trouble possibly

yeah. i guess that should be my next step in trouble shooting.
but the weird thing is i didn't have this problem unitll i reformatted my hd last night. it worked fine before the reformatt. i wonder if i need to partition the hd and re-intsall Win ME on a 6 gb partition? would that work?
the reason i ask is i used no partition at all... NONE. it was all loaded straight onto the full 79.85 (or whatever the number is) gigs of my wd 80gig 8mb cache hd.

Heres what I don't get, and I feel bad about.

Windows me comes out well 2000 right and then months later they release xp all those people that bought the upgrade for nothign and what a terrible upgrade

yes. i am conviced WINDOWS ME IS EVIL!
but if i get win2k pro (which is next on my list) i won't be able to play any of the super cool older games with my super speedy new pc parts coupled with WIN2Kpro OS.

:mad: :mad:

i wish linux would play all the games that windows does. if it did. i would get it and then send my windows ME disk back to big brother bill gates, with smelly,rotting, dead, rat guts, smeared all over it.

...we can dream right. :)

i wonder if i need to partition the hd and re-intsall Win ME on a 6 gb partition? would that work?
the reason i ask is i used no partition at all... NONE. it was all loaded straight onto the full 79.85 (or whatever the number is) gigs of my wd 80gig 8mb cache hd.

bump

This might be the source of the problem. Go to your "display properties", right click any free space on your desktop, and select "properties" frome the menu. Click the "effects" tab. Make sure the "use transition effects", and "show window contents while dragging" checkboxes are NOT checked. having those checked, use up memory and are really just eye candy for something you rarely take note of until your system is sluggish.
you may also want to check to see that in your "control panel" under "mouse", that you don't have "show trails" (or something to that extent) enabled.

CrystalMethod said:
This might be the source of the problem. Go to your "display properties", right click any free space on your desktop, and select "properties" frome the menu. Click the "effects" tab. Make sure the "use transition effects", and "show window contents while dragging" checkboxes are NOT checked. having those checked, use up memory and are really just eye candy for something you rarely take note of until your system is sluggish.
you may also want to check to see that in your "control panel" under "mouse", that you don't have "show trails" (or something to that extent) enabled.
OMG! "YOU THA MAN!"
HAHAHAHAHA! you were correct.... PROBLEM SOLVED!
it was the "transition effects", and show windows contents while dragging", that were messing with everything, just like you described!

thank you soooooooooooo much! :)
i was having fits over this little nuisance! lol!

i removed drivers.... used detonator destroyer.... removed monitor "drivers"... etc...... to try and fix this and it turns out it was just a simple little thing like this! WHEEEW! i feel relieved!

crystalmethod.... thank you so much. you don't know how much misery you released me from. lol! i feel almost giddy right now! haha!
thanks for everyone else replies and help as well.
all is very much appreciated.

JERKY is happy again! :burn:

Back