• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 began a head scratchor for me, SLI gone awry

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rogbur22

So I went from Win 7 to Win 10 and things were fine, then a couple nights ago I used the sleep function (PC not overclocked or anything at this time, not set to any ultra fast or fast boots either) and it would not come out of sleep. I played around for 30 min or so shutting down different ways, shutting down all power etc no matter what I could not even get to bios or boot in any way.

ASrock Z77 OC Formula

Finally I hit the clear CMOS button and she booted up again. I then went in and (for the moment) set defaults and reset my boot devices so the SSD and Windows 10 would be first boot device.

Everything seemed to be back to normal. ( I have multiple monitors btw) however I noticed my PC was only showing 1 GTX 970 when I am running SLI. First I reinstalled my video drivers. No help, I went back into the bios and checked settings it's all good using video from PCI express and not onboard chip etc. I notice Im only showing 1 970 in my bios also ( now Im really confused)

Next I was a version or 2 behind in bios so I flashed it to the latest Bios, nothing earth shattering there just small updates. go back in and set it up again and still nothing but 1 vid card showing anywhere. Even in proggies like GPU-Z my other card is not showing up.

I shut down and removed bottom card. I then tried the bottom card in main slot Works fine, So Now I know both vid cards work fine. I would try the card in the bottom PCI slot but my power supply is cramping me from doing it.

Finally I erased my SSD and installed Windows 8.1 just for the hell of it. I still get nothing but 1 card showing up.

My board has little dip switches also to turn the PCI lanes on and off I even checked those but I knew I did not touch them and it all was fine before anyway.

It's been a long time since I have scratched my head like this. I made no changes to the board physically. This happened when I hit the sleep button or hit the CMOS button before that it was fine.

What do I know

The video cards work fine

Latest Bios on motherboard setting inside bios are good

New Operating system

Latest video driver and tried previous also (that worked fine before)

2nd slot shows no card in any place I look, device manager, BIOS, GPU-Z,

Either card in slot 2 lights up fans running.

Im scratching my head

Sorry, I should have waited another hour to post it. The slot is toast for some reason and one of the most untimely times for something to fail, LOL I dropped the card down to the next slot and it's all good. I just need to get a longer SLI bridge. I only have the small ones.

It's not a big deal speed wise my 2nd large PCI exp slot is a 3.0 x 16 and the one I moved it into is a 2.0 x 16 for now it's fine, next upgrade gets me a new board no biggie

What a curiously odd course of timing and events. Wow !

Are your 970's in SLI running fine on Windows 10? I am thinking about buying another. Any issues I need to know about?

Back