• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WinXP Drive Letter Swap :eek:

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

richklein

Hi,
I am having a winxp home problem. Here is the story, I originally installed XP using a Nick Lock (boot selector hardware) and it setup my drive with XP on it as "F".

I just got a new drive & used Ghost to copy everything onto the new drive. I plugged it all back in as normal & now I have a problem.

The New "F" drive is recognized as "C". This means nothing will boot up. If i hook the old "F" drive back up, it gives it the letter F & since all the files on the two drives are the same, it boots up.

Using the disk Management I am able to see the letters but I cant change either of them. I get messages saying I cant change the pagefile letter or the system letter (both drives).

I hooked in my old ScSi drive that I had when I installed XP & tried to see if it would then reassign my New drive to the letter "F".

Everything on the system is set to the F drive.

That is the gist of it. I need to somehow set the "C" drive to "F" in order to make everything work. Is there a way to boot to a command prompt in order to do this or is there another way?

I would really like to use the new drive (80 gig ata133 maxtor).

Thanks,
Rich

Ok, it seems that going to regedit & then HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices
Click MountedDevices did the trick.

I now have no C drive & I only have an "F" drive.

Whoopie Doo!

Seems to work just fine too.

richklein said:
Ok, it seems that going to regedit & then HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices
Click MountedDevices did the trick.

I now have no C drive & I only have an "F" drive.

Whoopie Doo!

Seems to work just fine too.

Have you tried making other "types" of drive letters? Like 69? I'd like to see that.

Back