• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

remember early days of overclocking... what CPU were you running?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Last edited:
amd 700mhz k6-3d? played with the little switches on the board one day and stuff happened! lol

Speaking of vintage parts... I have an AT DFI K6VB3+ motherboard that I've considered taking in to the E waste place. It works perfectly, but its been years since I last played with it. I put a K6-2+ in it, and overclocked it to 600 MHz. But even with a Ge Force 4 video card, it was not capable of playing YouTube videos. The Via MVP3 chipset can only use 768 megabytes of RAM. But look at this, http://www.ebay.com/itm/DFI-K6BV3-S...956023556?pt=Motherboards&hash=item20d1a23b04 ! I guess I should put it up on Ebay!

My first overclocks were accidental. I had a 486 DX-50 and a DX2-66 (still have the CPUs). Everything was set by jumpers and I made a few mistakes switching between to two. The DX-50 had a 50MHz bus and the and the DX2-66 had a 33MHz bus.

I had excellent luck with the single core barton XP 3000+.

Same here, but that was in 2006, because I got the chip in 2005, but was waiting for a board without PCI clock issues. I got the Asus A7N8X-X in late 2005, IIRC, from a mom-and-pop computer shop and it was the last nice board in stock!

my first OC was a P4 478 northwood 2.4 800FSB on a asus MB P4P800-SE. I oc-ed to 3.0 and it was as cool as a cucumber.

My Northwood 2.4 with my MSI 845E Max was NOT cool like a cucumber! At stock it was easily 45 C at idle and I would be lucky for Prime95 to pass at 2.808 with winter air through a duct! 2.8 was a struggle and seemed to be a power hog, even when it wasn't a Prescott!

167x18.0 for 3.006 Ghz was an immediate error!
Even when the chipset wasn't a Via, I possibly had a bus error, because Prime95 immediately failed with a message I never saw before, "FATAL ERROR: Reading from temp file" or similar. Definitely reeks of a bus error to me!

If it was a Via KT133A or Via KT266, then it definitely would make sense!

Because assuming they use the /4 divider, the PCI would be at 41 Mhz!

Last edited:
Barton + Early days of overclocking? I think not. :rolleyes:

Try my AMD-made 80286-16MHz CPU overclocked to 20MHz by desoldering the slower clock crystal from the motherboard and replacing it with a faster one.

Get off my Lawn! :p
Hell yeah! Those were the days. :attn:
For me i was quickly satisfied with my rig's performance. I really started OC'ing with my AMD singlecore 1.4Ghz i think. Was a Thunderbird CPU IIRC. Good times.

Also flashing my 6800GT to Ultra years later. Good times. :attn:

Too bad there's no real need to OC nowadays.

Same here, but that was in 2006, because I got the chip in 2005, but was waiting for a board without PCI clock issues. I got the Asus A7N8X-X in late 2005, IIRC, from a mom-and-pop computer shop and it was the last nice board in stock!

Yeah the A7N was a great board. Good bios - organized and set up well for the end user. I continued with Asus up until the M4A778-EM, but I started getting frustrated as bios setup and config was just not up to par. I first had an Athlon Black Edition 6400+ in there. I had to have it because of the 125w TDP. Its overclocked from the factory, and I couldn't really get much more out of it. That was really the end of the Windsor line. Ended up selling that processor for a 65NM Kuma 7750. I wasn't really impressed with it. I got sick of dealing with the excessive heat and weak overclockability. It ran nearly as hot as the 6400 at a slightly lower clock speed. I got about 3.0Ghz out of it.

Helped a friend in Hawai upgrade His tandy TRS80 to 8k of ram, somewhere in 1988 or so.

Z80 I think

I overclocked my 3770K to 5Ghz on an H100I. :chair:

I'm rather new to overclocking if you couldn't tell...

I should also add i would have been into it sooner, but y'know age and everything...(Only 15)

My 1st ever OC was on my very first build in 2002 it was a AMD 2500 XP Barton CPU OCed it to 3.0ghz to match the 3200+ speeds I remember the air cooling system for that rig so many memories so many slightly breezy nights when gaming ....

My 1st ever OC was on my very first build in 2002 it was a AMD 2500 XP Barton CPU OCed it to 3.0ghz to match the 3200+ speeds I remember the air cooling system for that rig so many memories so many slightly breezy nights when gaming ....

The Barton still wasn't out in 2002.
In 2002, my best processor was a T'bird B 1.3 Ghz (100 Mhz FSB) from Geeks.com, IIRC, (ordered in late June, 2002, received on July 5, 2002) (last one in stock, LOL!) even though I didn't overclock it.
Unfortunately, it was usually 131 F at idle on my Chaintech CT-7AJA2E motherboard.
It was fun until I killed it on October 13, 2002, from a heatsink installation crushing it. When transferring it to my Soyo SY-K7VTA-B motherboard.

And my 900 Mhz version that I got in June, 2001 was unstable at 1050 Mhz, with "STOP: 0x0000000A" BSODs.
Looks like 1020 Mhz or around there was the max stable OC for my 2001 900 "AFGA/AGFA"

Last edited:
I had a 486-66 which I didn't overclock (I was 8 or so when the old man gave me it) as my first PC. At about 10 I got given this Pentium 133 with 32MB RAM which I played with, which I can't remember which OC I got it but I think I had a cyrix 233 in it at some point I got from someone?

In 2004 or so I got given a Pentium 3 733mhz which I got up to 850mhz or so before the PCI kicked a stink.

I put a 900mhz celeron @ 1ghz OC into it with 512MB RAM (The max the ASUS CUSL-2 could support) in about 2005, I used that until about 2009 as my DVD Shrink PC, would leave it overnight to do a dvd-9 to dvd-5 conversion :)

I had been given many PC's between the ones listed but none of them I could get working so I harvested parts like some kind of preteen Wall-e

My first overclock was a K6-2 from 450mhz to 500mhz. I almost kinda miss the jumper era where you physically had to move stuff to get higher clocks. Yesterday I was talking to my friend about 'jumpers' and he was like, "what are humpers?" lol!

I had upgraded to a Cyrix CPU, 40mhz, from an Intel 286-12, IIRC. I remember the Cyrix running hot, hotter after I submerged it. The jumpers had to be set manually on the MB (don't remember the make, think it was an IBM). But I got it to 44mhz. The pot was a PVC end cap, the pump was from a fish tank, and the res was a styrofoam ice chest. I learned a lot of valuable cooling lessons on that chip, especially in retrospect as I killed it and replaced it with a 486-25 when they came out. Talk about hog heaven.....

Overclocked DX2-66 to DX4-100, though it didn't seem any faster.
First real PC was the K6-233 on Asus TX-97E, and was king of the hill with 64MB EDO and 8GB ATI Rage Pro video card. Pushed that to 290 but it got way hot.
Then put in K6-300, and pushed that to 337.
Then K6-2 350 to 400.
Celeron 300A to 504 on BH6
366A to 550 on BH6
533 to 800 on BH6
Man, I miss Abit, they had some wicked boards.
Then some Barton overclocks, some Athlon 64 overclocks, x2 3800+ overclock, and so on.
The first ones were the funnest though. Jumper settings, reboot, pray, clear cmos and start over....

Overclocked DX2-66 to DX4-100, though it didn't seem any faster.
First real PC was the K6-233 on Asus TX-97E, and was king of the hill with 64MB EDO and 8GB ATI Rage Pro video card. Pushed that to 290 but it got way hot.
Then put in K6-300, and pushed that to 337.
Then K6-2 350 to 400.
Celeron 300A to 504 on BH6
366A to 550 on BH6
533 to 800 on BH6
Man, I miss Abit, they had some wicked boards.
Then some Barton overclocks, some Athlon 64 overclocks, x2 3800+ overclock, and so on.
The first ones were the funnest though. Jumper settings, reboot, pray, clear cmos and start over....

My K6-2 450 @500 Mhz was a POS. Freezed under load.
(on a Soyo SY-5EMA+ motherboard) It also seemed to overheat at stock. I had random errors! :mad:

Last edited:
Back