• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

remember early days of overclocking... what CPU were you running?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
AMD Thunderbird. It had an unlocked multiplier. Later CPUs like Palomino, Thoroughbred and most Bartons were locked until AMD restored unlocked multiplier technology in some of the AMD 64 dual core models.

Last edited:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRS-80_Color_Computer

My first computer puchased new in 1980.. Ran at .89mhz but using Peek and Poke commands could double the processor speed.

The Trash 80?

Those were great machines. I was poor at the time and could only afford the Ti99/4A.

(But I did pick up the expansion box and cassette recorder to store my programs from a company that went out of business right at that time.)

Those were the days...

My first overclock was a K6-2 from 450mhz to 500mhz.

Mine was totally unstable at 500 Mhz. It would freeze easily under Harvest Moon 64 at 500.
But I was paranoid of changing the Vcore.

And my K6-2 rig also got random errors at stock! :mad:

The errors would go away after letting it sit.
Apparently, the sucker was as hot as a freaking T'bird!
Apparently, a K6-2 500 Mhz needs a 1 Ghz-rated heatsink! Maybe I should have popped on a PIII 866+ heatsink.

But ironically, my T'bird never was unstable at stock after I did a workaround for a nasty BIOS bug the Soyo SY-K7VTA-B had.

Last edited:
first computer was a pentium 60 but no oc. sold it after 2 months and bought parts for a pentium 75 and oc'ed it to 100. good old days for sure. If I remember correctly it would do some stuff at 133, but usually kept it at 100

I remember it too. First processor I overclocked was a AMD Athlon64 3200+ from 2ghz to 2.4Ghz. I remember that processor being very good at the time.

beating all my friends Pentium4's. After that I got the FX-60. Oh the memories.

Ahh the mighty Athlon XP

4161548.jpg

If I remember correctly, on the earlier T-bird and Barton cores you could pencil in two connections to unlock the processor multiplier. Those were the days!

Ahh the mighty Athlon XP

4161548.jpg

If I remember correctly, on the earlier T-bird and Barton cores you could pencil in two connections to unlock the processor multiplier. Those were the days!

That is exactly what you could do, you could even use that method to turn XP processors into MP processors to use in a dual CPU motherboard. I have a Tyan board at home with dual 2200+ XP cpus that I penciled in the mod to make them MP.

Not technically an overclock I think but I remember my old P40 and upgrading it to a P60, adding a math co-processor and a Monster II add on card many moons ago as my first mods.

Back when used to use CompuServe and we played Kali to run Mech II on it from chat rooms :)

Has others before then but was first thing I modded myself.

I think I still have an old case in my Florida room with an ancient T-Bird laying in a corner somewhere that came later in life.

I think a Commodore 64C was my real first computer.

My first OC I think was with a Gigabyte board though I think years ago with a Q6600 SLCKR, those were great chips, and the thing is still running well in my sister in laws in an updated Asus MOBO computer I made for her :)

My wife still using a Q9650 in hers on another ASUS MOBO.

Last edited:
First and best overall O/C was a Celeron 300 that doubled to 600 with a bit of cooling and voltage.

celeron 350 @ 450mhz was great acted like a p3 before its time
celeron 666 "667" @ 900mhz upping the mem to 133 "win!"
switched to amd
"around the time i joined this site "2100 thourbread? i think lol @ 2.4 or something hard to remember i quickly switched to a 2600bartan @ 3.2ghz i still have both those boards/cpus also.

from there moving to core 2 stuff to much to talk about from there.

First and best overall O/C was a Celeron 300 that doubled to 600 with a bit of cooling and voltage.

that would have been a godly cpu when i started laning with my hs buddys lol you went hard core.

Guess I got in kinda late :D

First "attempt" at OCing was with an Athlon XP 2400+ in an old e-machines - had to use clockgen, got it from 2GHZ to a whopping 2.1GHZ before things started going wonky.

freakdiablo its not a competition . being older than someone is not a triumph.

2400xp was a amazing year. was the year of delta force black hawk down- and battle field Vietnam some of my fondest memories

Speaking of vintage parts... I have an AT DFI K6VB3+ motherboard that I've considered taking in to the E waste place. It works perfectly, but its been years since I last played with it. I put a K6-2+ in it, and overclocked it to 600 MHz. But even with a Ge Force 4 video card, it was not capable of playing YouTube videos. The Via MVP3 chipset can only use 768 megabytes of RAM. But look at this, http://www.ebay.com/itm/DFI-K6BV3-S...956023556?pt=Motherboards&hash=item20d1a23b04 ! I guess I should put it up on Ebay!

Yeah it took a little google searching to remember the motherboard my 450mhz K6 2+ was built on, but the mvp3 chipset triggered something: it was the FIC VA-503+.. AT form factor. was running 48mb of SIMM ram. I remember one meaningful upgrade, the creative labs DXR3 DVD kit, included a PCI decoder card and 5X DVD drive. I passed that down to the Pentium III rig eventually. Creative labs ftw!

2400xp was a amazing year. was the year of delta force black hawk down- and battle field Vietnam some of my fondest memories

Yeah, those are some great games. Although it was realized in late 1998, half life is still one of my all time favorites.. Deathmatch mode was simply the best on a LAN with 3 or 4 players.

Well, almost as good as Doom II :D I think that game was old enough to run multiplayer on IPX protocol.

I remember 1 other thing from my youth. I had this IBM/PC clone with a turbo button I believe there was a 468DX inside the machine. Technically this is my first time overclocking ever. Since everytime you pressed that turbo button you overclocked the CPU xD

I have some fond memories playing Prince of Persia on that machine. (I also remember how hard I failed when I first found the sword and didn't know how to pick it up. Eventually I figured out to press SHIFT when standing over the sword and the prince would pick it up, later I figured out that certain button combinations let u skip to the last level xD)

I remember 1 other thing from my youth. I had this IBM/PC clone with a turbo button I believe there was a 468DX inside the machine. Technically this is my first time overclocking ever. Since everytime you pressed that turbo button you overclocked the CPU xD

Actually, the turbo button is reverse of what you thought it did. It slowed the CPU and/or disabled the CPU cache if present. Which allowed older games to run at normal speeds. Otherwise, some games ran at double speed.

Actually, the turbo button is reverse of what you thought it did. It slowed the CPU and/or disabled the CPU cache if present. Which allowed older games to run at normal speeds. Otherwise, some games ran at double speed.

Oh well, Downclocking is almost the same xD

I remember arguing with many friends on the function of that button, back in the day..

Back