• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ANYONE RUNNING 167FSB or better AIR COOLED?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

outhouse

I just fixed a bug and now i'm running at 168FSB but before i'll change my sig I'll play for a night or two online gaming to make sure its stable. I'm wondering how many others are running with these high numbers and know if they have any tricks up there sleeves for getting around some of the problems asotiated with high FSB without Pelt's or liquid cooling. woulnt that be sweet to have a muliplier of 5 for pci and a better divider for agp :)

I've only been able to hit 155 stable and 157 unstable. The higher you go, the more critical cooling mods to the mobo become. I have a high output fan on my northbridge greenie, but I'm thinking of maybe trying a better heatsink. One should at least, remove the sink and reapply using Arctic Silver. Get a fan, if you don't already have one. I also have heatsinks that I put onto the southbridge chip and ICS clock generator. Not sure how much the sink to the southbridge helped, probably not much, but the ICS sink did help some at high bus speed over 133 MHz.

Here is a pic of my old Abit SE6 mobo. My new Abit SA6R has the same cooling mods done, except I'm using a better "wing fin" heatsink on the southbridge (like what's on the ICS chip only bigger).

[img="[URL]http://www.fiero.nl/uploads/mobo-mods.jpg[/URL]"]

The highest I got was 161fsb with air cooling, and I too added a h.s. to my clock generator, my alpha takes too much space for any extra fan for the northbridge, but Abit laid it out in a way that the alpha fans blow directly over the greenie....Maybe when I go to a fcpga I will try all those neat tricks for the northbridge...but for now, I am happy with my slot one setup, and think it will be here for another year.
I also have a blowhole in the area of my clk gen

Thats the one thing that sucks about running BX board. The chipset is right to the right of the cpu slot. Makes it almost impossible to mount any sort of fan on the HS. Right now I have to have an 80mm fan mounted on my waterblock blowing directly at at the chipset or the system becomes very very unstable. Without the fan the chipset HS gets so hot you can't hardly touch it. Even while running watercooling alone without a tec. Weird! I'll get BSOD's and 3D apps wont even load.

OK so i'll throw in my pics so you can see what ive done theres a small HS on CG the HSF's on northbridge and Gf2mx32 were cut down from proccesor HSF's the northbridge from a AMD and the GF from a P2 theres also a HS on southbridge and bios chip why i guess i had the perfect piece of scrap just laying there so on she went. Cables rounded 80 wire folded i have not zip tied the 80 wire up yet as that could look better then hanging there. all wires tied up and organized, The 2 fans blowing in and out well i cut everything out of the way so nothing would restrict airflow. My best cooling mod was to duct the proccesor and I may duct the northbridge too but Ive had low ambient temps inside my house at the end of winter and i could not get 1 fsb better then where i'm at. I know i could use a better HSF on proccesor but it is keeping me pretty cool at 2 to 2.05 CV I think if i did put a copper HSF on I may even get to 168FSB as i was playing for 2 hours online last night gaming before the thing Froze I thought for sure i had 168 in the bag until then. If you guys like what you see just pat yourself on the back because everything ive learned has been here at this site I'm sure theres a certain part of luck playing here for my whole system to put up with 167fsb

Nice job Outhouse. I like that big honking northbridge cooler. I'm reading and hearing more and more lately that the northbridge cooling is extremely important (if not critical) to stability at FSB speeds above 160 MHz. I think that might be my next cooling mod. Just need to figure out what heatsink to use or hack. Wish there was enough room in there for a 60mm fan. Maybe water cooling the northbridge chip ain't so crazy after all (see article on home page).

I usualy read front page first then hit the forums Makes me wonder to if its worth it to extreme cool stuff but as you said in one of your post I may only get a few more FSB if it was extreme cooled and the extra money may not be worth the few extra FSB but l know all of us have that bug to see how far it will go

Both HSF's were bought for 5 bucks each one at frys and the other at a mom and pop operation I just told them what i was doing and they told me of some HSF's that were not selling and after little hacksaw and filing I had some sweet cooling.

Back