• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PQI Turbo Series (2-2-2-5) any good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
burn 'em in nice and slow using relatively low ram speed and high voltage...or at least that's the way we used to do it with BH-5/BH-6...
/old man voice begin
AND WE LIKED IT THAT WAY ;)
/old man voice end

mcoleg said:
is cpc on auto? that could do that.

Hmmmm! It couldn't change in windows right? I'm pretty sure taht i always set it to enabled but with all of the times that I have looaded optimized or had to clear cmos I may have missed it. I'm sure it alwasys said 1T on post screen though. At least everytime i watched it boot, which is most times when I'm OCin.

Didn't think so. Anyway with a clean install of Winblows I got 23672. Seems like all I'm gonna get, Thats ok for now. I just wanna go and enjoy this machine and frag some folks.:)

ToastedToad said:
Didn't think so. Anyway with a clean install of Winblows I got 23672. Seems like all I'm gonna get, Thats ok for now. I just wanna go and enjoy this machine and frag some folks.:)

this is off topic, the military has discovered the guys who have played extensive video games are much superior using comuter based weapons systems. ie. the abrams tank is computer guided..

flapperhead said:
this is off topic, the military has discovered the guys who have played extensive video games are much superior using comuter based weapons systems. ie. the abrams tank is computer guided..

This is a known trait with avid gamers; their reflexes and response times tend to be quicker than average; at times, much quicker.

Getting back on topic, I have found that the best I can do on my new DFI LANParty UT nF3 250Gb with the full PQI3200-1024DBU kit installed is FSB250@10-4-3 CAS 2.5 1T. With a single stick, I can do the incredible figure of FSB285@10-3-3 CAS 2.5 1T rock solid; works the same with either stick. MemTest86 actually passes at FSB300@10-3-3 CAS 2.5 1T with a single stick, but Windows XP gets wonky at this setting. HT multiplier in all tests was the minimum 2.5X (Oskar Wu said the settings from 2.0 and down don't work right).

I also found that the board doesn't really like not having memory in Slot 1; Slot 1/3 and 1/2 didn't differ in stability with turning, and Slots 2/3 didn't POST well. Trying only one stick in any slot other than Slot 1 resuled in no-POST for sure.

Another thing I found is that raising the voltage past 2.9 hasn't yielded any improvement, either.

That's my testing so far; I'm doing preliminary testing with air cooling until my replacement midplate for my Storm G4 comes in. Once I get the water cooling up and running, and my 6800GT installed (right now just using a cheesy GF2mx 'cause the 6800 already has the block fitted and I don't want to swap in the stock air cooling crap just for prelim. tests), I should be able to get some more serious numbers.

Will update later.

-Ed

thanks for all the good info Ed..... it appears from your testing that the memory controllers are suffering from the same problems with double sided ram as with the nforce2 boards.... :(

HousERaT said:
thanks for all the good info Ed..... it appears from your testing that the memory controllers are suffering from the same problems with double sided ram as with the nforce2 boards.... :(

Worse still, because all 4 banks are being stuffed into a single channel.

I'm certain that anybody reaching 300mhz RAM in a Socket754 board is doing so with either a single module or 2 x 256.

With 2T enabled and a single stick used, I'm able to post at 300, but Windows is unstable. 1T and 2 x 512, and 250mhz seems to be the limit.

So does this lead us to the conclusion that using a single 1GB stick would be the way to go on a Socket 754 is you needed to use a full GB of ram.

Has anyone used a single stick and if so, what kind of performance were you getting?

Well I don't know if I'm happy or disapointed...

Based on the cost and the results of this thread I bought the 3200 2 2 2 5

Originally I just wanted 240 with a 1:1 but seeing everyone else getting these 280+ and even 300's I'm kinda disapointed with my results.

First off I had to crank up the volts to 2.9 just to get what I have here. I've got 2 sticks of the 512 meg running on my Lanparty UT 250 with A64 3000+
10x 245 = 2450 Mhz with 245 memory as I'm 1:1. Timings are 2.5 3 3 10 @ 2.9v

I've tried 9x 275 with 3 3 3 10 and it gives tons of errors in memtest and 10x 250 won't boot so I think that's probably a proc limitation. Just kinda sucks that I'm watercooled and can't get any higher than 2.45Ghz

Will play some more and see what I can come up with..

J So, Drop your multi to 8 and then find the top end of your memory. Your Newcastle may just be holding up the party because its reaching its natural (not heat related) top end.

gundamit said:
J So, Drop your multi to 8 and then find the top end of your memory. Your Newcastle may just be holding up the party because its reaching its natural (not heat related) top end.

I played around some more and this is what I have got

Best Ram speed with no errors 260 3-3-3-10 ( I didn't venture into the 4's.. should I?)

I can boot into windows at 9x with 1.65v and run 3DMark with a score of 4824
I can boot into windows at 9.5x with 1.7v (1.65 hangs at windows screen) and run 3DMark with a score of 4865
x10 gets me to the windows screen and then a lock at 1.7v... is it save to up the voltage more?

Now keep in mind running 245 x 10 with 2.5 3-3-3-10 I get 4893 in 3DMark

I'm thinking I might be in the unfortunate position of having both RAM and CPU that don't want to any further... Any ideas?

THANKS!!

Well I gues you can look on the bright side here. My 3000+ NC won't do over 2350 on pretty good air.(slk-948u).

I have found that with 4's the bandwidth drops so much that it wasn't worth even going there. You could always try it though to see if your sticks can do it. HAve you super tweaked the RAM with the plethora of options the UT give you?

BTW is that 3DMark 05?

You will notice that with the S754 boards, ~250mhz RAM will be the limit when running 1GB w/ 1T enabled. There's really no way around this other than to kill timings, which you really can't make up with increased frequency.

The guys you see running > 250mhz on a S754 board are using 512mb RAM, either a single stick or 2 x 256, or are using 2T command rate. The memory controller on the A64 just can't handle 4 banks at high speeds.

If you enable 2T, you can hit higher frequencies (often upwards of 280-300), but you're talking a 500MB/sec hit in performance measured in Sandra right off the bat.

I've tested this with the PQI Samsung TCCD, some Geil PC4000 (Hynix D43), and Kingmax PC4000 (Hynix D5), coming to the same conclusion everytime. For ****s and giggles, I did further testing on an MSI K8N Neo Platinum board, and there's still a wall at ~250mhz.

adelphia83 said:
You will notice that with the S754 boards, ~250mhz RAM will be the limit when running 1GB w/ 1T enabled. There's really no way around this other than to kill timings, which you really can't make up with increased frequency.

The guys you see running > 250mhz on a S754 board are using 512mb RAM, either a single stick or 2 x 256, or are using 2T command rate. The memory controller on the A64 just can't handle 4 banks at high speeds.

If you enable 2T, you can hit higher frequencies (often upwards of 280-300), but you're talking a 500MB/sec hit in performance measured in Sandra right off the bat.

I've tested this with the PQI Samsung TCCD, some Geil PC4000 (Hynix D43), and Kingmax PC4000 (Hynix D5), coming to the same conclusion everytime. For ****s and giggles, I did further testing on an MSI K8N Neo Platinum board, and there's still a wall at ~250mhz.

Glad to see I'm not the only one hitting this one and same wall.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Well I can hit 260 with 3-3-3-10 So that's pretty good then. Well that's cool then I guess. That just means it's my proc that's holding me back because it won't fire up at 260 x 10 :-(

(edit)

Well I bumped the voltage to 1.8 for my CPU and got it to boot at 250 but it failed Prime95 after 20 min.. :(

Last edited:
Back