• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Core i7 920 @ 4.0 temps, safe or not?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
@Arkade, HT is enabled and @ 4104MHz, played games, tested it overnight and it's still working, my temps are great, what if I run it at this speed, my question is about 1.49 vcore, will my processor die in 3 years??

I know you told me to keep the vcore as low as possible and gain stability through testing. yet I just wanna know :D

lool sorry, the ram speed is 18821.07 MB/s XD

and that explained a lot because I was looking for the turbo boost :p I will try 20 instead of 21

H110 has 2x140mm Fans, I added a 200mm fan on top of them to support their air flow, the bottom of the HAF922 case has a place where you can install 120mm fans, I installed 3x120mm (2000RPM) as column directed to the VGA card.

Last edited:
Stacking 120mm fans give no extra airflow, just static pressure.You mean blck 200?

You can never get a CPU's lifespan. They just die. Have for example here almost 45 Pentium 4 560's and 18 Pentium 4 670's. They were all bought at the same time and all have been used in workstations at the same time as our primary computers back in 2005-06. They all were oced on the same boards and same cooling and all same spec. Some died as early as 1 year in. Some of them died 3 years later. Some of them are in my closet and still work 100% fine.

@ arkade no sorry lol I meant the ratio 20, I actually used static pressure fans to make the VGA able to breath. still testing though VGA temp and changing the position of fans.

I guess 3.8GHz is the best choice, low vcore, low temp and 3.8GHz isn't bad :D

yep you are right, 3.8ghz issent bad.
hope that this will be stable for me, hahaha.

linxstabieli7975op41ghz_zps83050a52.png

Forgot the mem tab at cpu-z, but at the run it was running at 1066mhz with 7-7-7-20 timings.

set your ratio to 21, it's the best setting, and gets the most of the CPU. games will read it wrong, BUT it still is at 4ghz via CPUZ :)

Also turbo, I got a few 990X ES's lying around and an old 965 cousin to your 975 :D, maybe we should have a benching party when i rig my Megahalems with my monsterous Delta's. or i could whip out my watercooling rig :p

My water cooling system consists of this

a solid copper water block from swiftec, a car radiator with 2 3 bladed 1800rpm 24 Inch box fans that creat a tornado :D, a primary 120VAC 3450RPM (240 watt pump)water pump to the primary reservoir and loop, a second belt driven pump with a bypass valve to send the waterflow in reverse should the reservoir get to hot, i can than drain from the primary reservoir and use my reserve resivor. I pump high anti freeze content, and the AMB temps are low in here. :D

I'll take pics if anyone ever wants to see all the old crap XD

would have to find it in my storage area. It was used for my first 990X runs. before the Freon system

Awesome :D sounds interesting, I would like to see how crazy that is :p

Actually I started to get to know this board and a small background about overclocking, thanks to you pros :D 1.5 vcore is colored white in my BIOS, it turns yellow when i push it even one tiny step, becomes red when I reach 1.6, so I thought of stopping where I'm still white with the vcore, and get stability at that vcore :D what do you think? I got 4060 MHz and decent temps. and My cpu was running @3.8 GHz (vcore 1.35) for years on my P6T SE and a Coolermaster Hyper 212+ and I guess it's time to get more out of it :D

yep you are right, 3.8ghz issent bad.
hope that this will be stable for me, hahaha.

linxstabieli7975op41ghz_zps83050a52.png

Forgot the mem tab at cpu-z, but at the run it was running at 1066mhz with 7-7-7-20 timings.

Is your OCZ kit is a DDR3-1600 C7 Kit?

Since you chip is unlocked... Why don't you try dialing in 25x165/166 with the the x5 memory multi (2:10) 825Mhz/DDR3-1650 8-8-8-24?

yes its a ocz kit, partnumber according to cpu-z ocz3p1600lvg2

oke so i changed the timings, lets see if it will work

Last edited:
Awesome :D sounds interesting, I would like to see how crazy that is :p

Actually I started to get to know this board and a small background about overclocking, thanks to you pros :D 1.5 vcore is colored white in my BIOS, it turns yellow when i push it even one tiny step, becomes red when I reach 1.6, so I thought of stopping where I'm still white with the vcore, and get stability at that vcore :D what do you think? I got 4060 MHz and decent temps. and My cpu was running @3.8 GHz (vcore 1.35) for years on my P6T SE and a Coolermaster Hyper 212+ and I guess it's time to get more out of it :D

It is interesting to see the voltage wall on your C0 chip... ~1.35v for 3.8 and ~1.50v for just an additional ~260MHz!

I suppose you could run it at 1.5v and if after some period of time should your chip fail? You could get another cpu to replace it?

Currently there is a good supply of old socket 1366 server cpu(s) that are now for sale in the secondary markets. The older server board equipment is being upgraded to newer generation stuff... So they pull the original OEM chips and sell them on EBay. Here is an example... W3520 SLBEW D0 which is the exact Xeon equivalent of an i7-920... for just 25$ with free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Xeon-...-km-/400689427210?pt=CPUs&hash=item5d4af3730a

Last edited:
yes its a ocz kit, partnumber according to cpu-z ocz3p1600lvg2

oke so i changed the timings, lets see if it will work

That part number didn't pull anything up on Google.

You'll have to remove a stick and look on the side label for the part number... Where it should also list/show the timings for the kit... C9, C8, C7 etc.

its the same on the sticker what i say, these are the corect ones, the vg2 is 1 stick

OCZ Platinum DDR3 PC3-12800 Low-Voltage Triple Channel

its the same on the sticker what i say, these are the corect ones, the vg2 is 1 stick

OCZ Platinum DDR3 PC3-12800 Low-Voltage Triple Channel

Ok.. I think I found it... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227381

Doesn't the sticks in your kit have a liitle sticker on the side showing timings?

That is a nice kit...:thup: Most likely Elpida BBSE ic. If you have trouble running ~1600 C7... You could try relaxing the timings to 7-8-7-24 1.65v.

It is interesting to see the voltage wall on your C0 chip... ~1.35v for 3.8 and ~1.50v for just an additional ~260MHz!

I suppose you could run it at 1.5v and if after some period of time should your chip fail? You could get another cpu to replace it?

Currently there is a good supply of old socket 1366 server cpu(s) that are now for sale in the secondary markets. The older server board equipment is being upgraded to newer generation stuff... So they pull the original OEM chips and sell them on EBay. Here is an example... W3520 SLBEW D0 which is the exact Xeon equivalent of an i7-920... for just 25$ with free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Xeon-...-km-/400689427210?pt=CPUs&hash=item5d4af3730a

I had a 965xe es and a retail 970 that did 4.0 1.35v, 4.1 1.4v and 4.2 at 1.55v. It was quite irritating to get the same clocks at the same volts twice. There were some very good 970s out that did almost as well as my x5690. That's the way it goes sometimes heheh.

Ok.. I think I found it... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227381

Doesn't the sticks in your kit have a liitle sticker on the side showing timings?

That is a nice kit...:thup: Most likely Elpida BBSE ic. If you have trouble running ~1600 C7... You could try relaxing the timings to 7-8-7-24 1.65v.

yes it has a little sticker, and yes thats my memory, i think i now no where i went wrong, i think i had it at 7-7-7-20 before, now trying it at 7-7-7-24 lets see if that works

so after a couple of test rounds the mem is compleet stable finally

Last edited:
I could be wrong but for gaming the stoic settings for ram are 1866mhz and 9cas right? Also if you have one of these MOBO's with triple channel memory, you will only benefit from having 3 sticks not 6 correct? 6 sticks would still run across 3 channels.

I got this memory back in 2010 and I have been fighting to get it stable at 2000mhz. I am at 19xx with a 9-9-9-24 setup: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231254

Did you move your voltage upto 1.65?

running my corsair kit at 1914mhz with 8-9-8-21 timmings

Back