• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are my temps normal / safe, Intel core i7-4790K @ 4.7ghz 1.275v

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

db0440954

Hello everyone, just wanted to know if my temps under 100% load / normal gaming and idle are OK and safe.

I overclocked the i7-4790K to 4.7 GHZ, vcore is at 1.275v

Under 100% load, the cores are in the 70s and it peak to 82

Gaming (40-60% load) it's around 50-60 celcius

Idle, I get 30-32 celcius

Is there something I should worry about (peak to 82 celcius) or if you guys consider my temps to be normal temps ?
Thanks!

Okay the temperature is normal for AIDA64 stress test. You could overclock higher up to 90c.:)

Okay the temperature is normal for AIDA64 stress test. You could overclock higher up to 90c.:)

Ok cool, and about the voltage, could/should I push it a little higher than 1.275v and try to reach 4.8 - 4.9 GHZ ? I don't know if it's safe ?

You can go up to 1.4v or 90c whichever comes first.:)

We have yet to find out what cooling hes using or did I miss something ? I mean if hes on a stock cooler he can't overclock unless he wants to kill the chip. He needs a notcua or hyper 212 then he can OC. If hes chip is 90 TJ then getting 82c is dangerous. Let's say its a hot summer day and he forgot to turn on the AC, That poor chip will roast as it will hit 90c as hes fraggin people and explode. No no no I tried to make it dramatic, it wont blow up but it will burn lol actually your comp shut down at TJ to protect the CPU. So ya its hard to blow a cpu,,,,,,thx

You can overclock on a stock cooler... how much depends on many factors. Typically it isn't very much though. Wingman's post laid out some parameters nicely. ;)

Amazing overclock there friend, your temps are near perfect man. At 4.7Ghz with that voltage I say go for more. I don't know your cooling situation so do this at your own risk.

I sugguest you pump up the vcore and OC to 4.8Ghz. Best way to do it is take your cpu voltage to 1.3xx and pump that 4.7 to 4.8 ... Its going to boot up I know for fact and youll get into windows. Why I know this because we ramped your voltage. Now if you cant boot into windows then we have found your max OC at 4.7Ghz . See we upped the voltage so it wouldn't be a guessing game, change clock change voltage blah blah. We simply took your voltage to a point where if there is failure we know the OC is too high.

FYI, you might need 1.310v or soo for 4.8Ghz to work and boot into windows and what have you. If you have the cooling you mgiht even need 1.320v for a stable 4.8. well find out soon enough.. good luck

Last edited:
It tells me the temp of the CPU is 82C on max load (with gaming and other loads much less). In other words, he is fine where he is at. :)

You are correct in suggesting not to push it much further as he doesn't have much headroom to reach that 90C glass ceiling we go by around here (for chips taht have a TJMax of 100C).

Back