• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Custom mini lcd from hp printer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jle7385

Hey guys. I have a 2.5" lcd from a junk hp c5180 printer. I pulled off the display but im not sure what kind of wiring i need to do in order to use this display somewhere on my case. The cinnection going to it is a small ribbon cable. Thanks for any help.

You are going to have a very rough time connecting it to your PC. you will need to find out what the each pin is on the ribbon cable and either come up with an adapter to convert it to VGA or find a way to salvage the original controller and wire it in.

Are there any small displays of this sort that would compatible easily with vga? (or are well documented in how to mod them to be so)

Mostly; the proprietary lcd's that they sell for cases are all WAY expensive; and having a tiny one would be absolutely adorable (and quite nice, for a htpc mod)

try googling for the pin out for the LCD socket on your printer, if that fails try the manufactures tech support, i doubt they will tell you but you might get lucky. if you can figure out the manufacturer of the actual LCD then you might get better results searching for that. Count the cables and google a pin out of a VGA and a DVI socket, if the wire count matches chances are its one of them. Hell it could even be an LVDS (perhaps flat panel display link) connector. look here (wiki entry) for info on LVDS / FPDL.

Hope thats of some help, if you can make this work it would be a very unique and cool mod. One I would love to see, good luck.

Unfortunately most these projects are dead end at finding the manufacture of the screen, never mind the exact model. And, LCD's are touchy things if you try to reverse engineer it chances are it'll fry.

Back