• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xgl and Compiz Opinions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UnseenMenace

UnseenModerator
Out of curiousity I was wondering how many people are using XGL and Compiz here and what opinions they have regarding it.
Do you consider it to be stable ?
What distribution are you using it on ?
What is your favorite effect ?

Attachments

• Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 495
Although I think the wavey windows and the cube is cool my favorite feature must be the one where it shows previews of all open windows on the screen like the mac does...
I really like XGL its making the desktop really interesting and so far it appears stable under ubuntu

I was thinking of installing it after there was a little HOWTO in an Ubuntu Starter Guide, but since my lack of knowledge outside of the X system is very limited at this point I didnt want to risk blowing it

I did it using the HOWTO found here

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=131267

I then have the start script (thefuture) enabled as a session startup which makes it exceptionally easy to revert back to the original unmodified desktop by disabling this, I may make it default if I decide to keep it once the novelty wears off though

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 486
Last edited:
i love it but for some reason ubuntu wont boot after i had to take my pc apart and put it back together. windows boots fine but ubuntu hangs at the loading screen

I'm a sucker for self-inflicted injury. I'm attempting to install Xgl/Compiz on:

Gentoo + ATI 9200 + KDE

I don't have high hopes. :) Xgl looks good in the videos however!

Edit: Gentoo+ATi 9200+KDE => Ubuntu+ATi 9200+Gnome . Xgl/Compiz partially works, with some tweaks. Nothing entirely stable, probably because of the ATi drivers. At least the wobble doesn't crash X like it did in Gentoo+KDE.

Another rig in the house has Ubuntu / ATi 9800 / Gnome, and the stability of that system is just fine.

Last edited:
Well I just installed it and like it so far...however, none of the keyboard/mouse shortcuts seem to be working (thus I cant play with any of the good stuff) :(

Evnas said:
Well I just installed it and like it so far...however, none of the keyboard/mouse shortcuts seem to be working (thus I cant play with any of the good stuff) :(

I had this problem and got gset-compiz running and set my own requirements

Attachments

• pic.jpg
    pic.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 459
Where do you get that program? Or if its installed with Compiz, how do you run it?

*edit* Nevermind...I got it.

Last edited:
I was running it on ubuntu dapper, really nice effects, I liked them. but my ubuntu install was getting cluttered with too much crap and I didn't feel like de-crapifying it, so I just reinstalled kubuntu. I've tried xgl with kde, and it's just horrible, so for now I have a somewhat normal-looking desktop.

I'm using XGL/Compiz on Ubuntu. I find it is very stable - not perfect, but stable. However, I use metacity on my laptop, and I find it has a few features that Compiz is still lacking: mainly fill-resize (hold shift while resizing a window, and it auto fills all available desktop space in the direction you are dragging).

My favorite effects are the cube, the compose rip-off, and the alt-tab showing live previews.

I really hope someone makes a rollodex plugin, like the Vista program switcher.

I too am using Compiz/XGL on Ubuntu. I did have problems with stability at first, but they seemed to be related only to the "dock" effect. I disabled that, and haven't had any stability problems since. I do, however, have a problem with the screen going nuts if I simply log out, rather than rebooting, although I don't know if its related to Compiz/xgl, or if its something else. I'm the only user, so it's not really a problem.

My favorite effect has to be the cube. It took me a while to get it set up the way I wanted, but now its just sweet. I've used both the gconf-editor, and gset-compiz, and I like using each for tweaking different settings, although the layout of gset does make it easier to deal with, to me.

I've played with it a little bit but never actually installed it, I just tried a couple livecd's that had it.
Overall it was pretty nice except one thing, those wobbly windows are a little obnixious, I think they need to be toned down a bit, otherwise, quite nice.
I'm thinking of installing this on my secondary gentoo box and if I get it working, I will install it on my main system (also running gentoo).

On a side note, are there any known issues with 64 bit systems?

Okay, how do you get/use gset-compiz. I want to play with the settings more, but don't know how.

*EDIT* Nevermind...it's in the Synaptic Package Manager...

any updates to this... what is the recommend distro to try this in? lol lots more distro's and neat tools to play with.

I've had XGL working with a Ti4200 in Gentoo but performance is pretty poor - videos are jerky too often.

David said:
I've had XGL working with a Ti4200 in Gentoo but performance is pretty poor - videos are jerky too often.
what was the rest of the rig? maybe not enough ram for it?

Back