• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Desktop Environment are you using?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

What DE are yuo using?

• Gnome 3

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • Gnome 2 (or fork such as Mate)

• KDE

• LXDE

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • XFCE

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • E17 (enlightenment)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Openbox, fluxbox, *box

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • Other (GTK+ based)

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Other (Qt based)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 10 19.2%

• Total voters
i run whatever the default is in the distro i happen to be using, which is usually gnome. i don't particularly car for it, and i'd rather use xfce, but i've found that changing the DE in a "desktop" build is always troublesome.

i run whatever the default is in the distro i happen to be using, which is usually gnome. i don't particularly car for it, and i'd rather use xfce, but i've found that changing the DE in a "desktop" build is always troublesome.
You could always start from the command line and build up (Arch/Gentoo/etc). That way, you can choose exactly what you want. :)

Personally I think Gnome 3 is the best looking. I like gnome shell once you add the extensions. I always end up using KDE tho for my towers since I have less problems with it on multiple displays.

E17 is great but I've never gotten the bugs out of it to use 24/7. So I end up using openbox for the netbook with slim.

I agree that Gnome 3 is very pretty. I just wish they didn't dumb it down to the level where you can't change advanced (or heck, even easy) features. Also, having no taskbar to quickly switch applications is very annoying.

Yah that's why the community made extensions are a must. I get the impression that the Gnome developers feel if you want to change their layout you need to get their developer tools and code it yourself. Which is why I personally end up using KDE, since I don't know tons about javascript and editing xml files.

I've been using Xfce since I started with Arch, but I think I might go with Openbox (standalone, without any other WM) for the fun of it. Also, I think I might want to start from scratch, again, for the fun of it. Already clonezilla'd my Linux drive, got YUMI ready, loaded with lotsa ISOs (found an use for a spare 32GB pendrive! :rofl:).

@Johnny5, thideras: Yes, Gnome 3 is pretty nice-looking. And, as Johnny5 said, as soon as you load some extensions, it really shines. But, alas, as thideras said, they dumbed it down a lot. That's not my spirit. Me likes tinkering!

@Arbiter Odie, I think that fits in Other (GTK+), IIRC.

@splat, you should try Arch!

GNOME 3 for me as well. Never could stomach KDE for some reason, and as much as I want to like XFCE I find myself always going back to GNOME.

JigPu

XFCE (Xubuntu) for me. I was using Gnome 2 for a while but I kept having issues with performance with lots of windows open. XFCE is much snappier and does a better job of staying out of my way.

Enjoying openbox on my crunchbang powered netbook, but I liked xfce way back when I used it on Mint 9 as well. When I get around to trying Arch, I'll probably use a *box. Never liked Gnome on ubuntu or mint, and kde looks good but feels excessive.

Back