• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

creating more turbulence?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

humdinger

Now I'm not an engineer or scientist so no flaming please ;) However I've read that having turbulence at the point where the water is near the chip in a waterblock results in better performance, due to convection?

Assuming that's true, and I have a waterblock like a DD Maze 2 which jets water over the chip area first; my block is sealed so I can't open it at all, but what if I were to use a fine mesh, or a crisscross arrangement of copper wires inserted into the inlet barb? Or maybe just insert some rough shaped/spiral wires into the block via the barb?

Obviously they would need to be held in place somehow, but I'm guessing that this wouldn't impede flow much but could create extra turbulence for blocks which don't have built in turbulence mechanisms like pins/fins?

Thoughts? Bearing in mind my first sentence? ;)

It might work but I seriously doubt it. I have seen depending if your pump has decent flow and head where a smaller center barb performs better. Not much but better. I think if I were you and if you could take the center barb off, I would just use a center punch to the inside of the base directly over the core or a 1/16 drill but not going to deep. Just the tip of the drill to leave small concaves. That would add some turbulance.

Take a look at Cathars White Water block. He uses a form of jet impingment with his block and does well. Though his uses micro fins on the base so how much the nozzle makes a difference I couldn't tell you.

Back