• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project zAntec - Antec Tribute

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alexia

Project zAntec - Antec Tribute(MOVE TO P-LOGS SUB-FORUM)

I'm sitting here bored out of my mind. The smell of fresh Sharpie is in the air and the work area is covered in rulers... it's modding season. :D

Description
Project "zAntec"

When I first started building computers back in 2000, I needed my very first case. I looked around forever and eventually settled on a "Full Tower Case" from Outpost.com. I didn't really think much of it then. It was full tower and had a power supply both of which were perfect for me at the time. Fast forward to 2003 and I'm having a conversation from someone on Hardforums about this case. It turns this unbranded case was actually made by Antec. It no longer has it's dented TruePower 250watt PSU in it, but I'm rescuing it from the attic. This was my case I started experimenting with modding and I just left it alone forever.

In a tribute to a company that makes great cases and solid power supplies; I'm taking this dinosaur and updating it to 2004.

Hey, notice that huge mess of wires? Shhh... don't tell the wire management police. Picture taken 2003.
tenny1.jpg

Last edited:
Parts Selection
DFI Lanparty NF3 Ultra (Yes, it isn't "released" yet... but I'm getting one.)
RAM, CPU, and other items undecided.
HWLabs Black Ice Xtreme
Eheim 1250

Here is the front of the case. The hole in the top slot cover was for a mod I called "Smell-O-Vision." That didn't work out too well.
1.jpg

Removing some GOOP glue I used to put some old EL wire into place before I started this project. EL wire does not last a long time.
3.jpg

The tri-fold cover. I hate tri-fold covers. The hole cut out was also another mod that was never finished before starting this project. This case took a lot of misguided modding abuse from me.
2.jpg

Marking off a 120mm square. This is where I will be putting the radiator for water cooling the motherboard.
4.jpg

Marking off the area for the plexiglass door and wasting Sharpie ink.
5.jpg

9mmCensor said:
That case is a beast.... can you still buy them?

Nope, they don't even list them on Antec's now missing archived products page.

Compared to my Lian-Li PC-75B, the PC-75B is 2.5" shorter and 6" longer. Yet the Antec is a lot more friendly to mounting radiators and pumps.

nice man, tri-fold covers are old ****, if you do this right it will turn out sweet... im thinking a red candy paint would look hella hot. if you want it professionaly painted i know a dude who does it for cheap and you can hit me up with a pm

Xenocide said:
nice man, tri-fold covers are old ****, if you do this right it will turn out sweet... im thinking a red candy paint would look hella hot. if you want it professionaly painted i know a dude who does it for cheap and you can hit me up with a pm

I've already done a blood red case. ;) I'm undecided so far for color, but I may be going with a gloss silver. I'm also leaning on blue.The first part is getting all the mods done, going to take a while!

Finished cutting out the window. Used a jigsaw to make most of the cuts while using the Dremel with cut off discs to cut excess on the corners. Killed a grinding stone to smooth the corners and finally used sanding drums to smooth out the rough edges. Contrary to what my camera shows, the edges are smooth and straight. It's mostly where the paint it scraped off that makes it look odd in the picture.

Wow! That is where I lost my bowl of Chili! It was just hiding behind that window all this time...
6.jpg

I dont know what it is about the shape of the window but its really estheticaly pleasing to look at! Kind of like the stuff at the Tate Modern! :)

Great work so far!

Also that case is Huge! you should put something like this in there! You have the space, use it!

360_200.jpg

FarEast said:
I dont know what it is about the shape of the window but its really estheticaly pleasing to look at! Kind of like the stuff at the Tate Modern! :)

Great work so far!

Also that case is Huge! you should put something like this in there! You have the space, use it!

360_200.jpg

Tilt your head to the left. Looks like a flower. ;)

Yes, VERY huge. I'm looking into different radiators at the moment.
The dimensions I have to work with are 120mm depth(Front to back), 160mm width(Left to right), 150mm height.(Top to PSU.)
The Airplex EVO 360 would fit, but I would have to sacrifice the top two drive bays and possibly my plans for the resevoir.

Pictures of it on the case and some Photoshopped color selections, opinions?
Red
Green
Blue
Hot Pink
Light Blue
7.jpg

go forsomething like the 240 then as it will leave your bays free, or you could have a 240 and a 140 in there!

FarEast said:
go forsomething like the 240 then as it will leave your bays free, or you could have a 240 and a 140 in there!

Hmm... though that still kills my plan putting the radiator vertical above the PSU as a single 120mm. I'm still settling on the Black Ice Xtreme for now. Not sure what difference it would make between the Xtreme and Xtreme 2 either.

You can tell I'm very new to water cooling. ;)

So was I untill i started the Tsunami Zen Master Project...I just kept asking alot of questions! I might have some more updates on that tomorrow.

PS Love that green...although have you ever thought about going with a more exotic colour?

Ehehehe... went out and ordered my new glasses today. :cool:

By the way... what is the easiest what to cut poly/acrylic? I've seen the scooring and breaking method, but I need to trim it and get the corners in there. Most of the time, the Dremel just starts melting the plastic. :(

Other than that, NEW TOYS! Grey primer and my final color selection, Cherry Red. Two door hinges, nuts and bolts, 18x24 Lucite, 52x32x52x Samsung CD-RW.
8.jpg

Black socket screws and alcorn nuts.
9.jpg

Marking off the hinge for cutting up.
10.jpg

The bolts were 1/2" long so I had to cut them in half to fit the alcorn nuts on. Here is th top hinge in place.
11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

Looking sweet , i like the dark blue.

Here's a idea , i did it to mine was i took my case all aprt down the the frame and them painted the frame and it looks sweet , im still working on some mods ill get soem pics soon

dead_man311 said:
Looking sweet , i like the dark blue.

Here's a idea , i did it to mine was i took my case all aprt down the the frame and them painted the frame and it looks sweet , im still working on some mods ill get soem pics soon

I would LOVE to paint the frame on this. That last frame I painted had my cursing and swearing for an entire week. It's just not fun. That frame was riveted together. This frame is spot welded together. Which basically means once it comes apart, it won't go back together.

mine is riveted together i left them all together ,

i took everythnig out took the front off them both side's off and then took a can of blue spray paint and painted it

i forgot to add i left the motherboard stad off's in just put tape ofer them

Back