• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Monitor in an 3 Screen Eyefinity Setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
No idea...haven't researched them. You asked for an opinion not actual real information ;)

After much research and help from you guys, I am going to hold off on a 4k monitor until prices come down and the next gen 60hz models are available. Also, given the fact that the current GPUs struggle to push 4k or multiple monitors at 1440, I am going to wait for the upcoming Maxwell GPUs and possibly the Haswell-E CPUs. So later this year I will but together my dream build.

I will still need a temporary solution between now and then though as my laptop with a 580m doesn't cut it.

Last edited:
Ewww....they're only 60Hz?? Totally agree with your choice not to go 4k yet. Based on what you typed...I wouldn't even think about 4K for a couple years.

Yeah...pushing 3 1440p monitors takes some major horsepower. Are you really thinking of waiting to build your dream machine? 3 1440's and maybe tri-(or quad) 780's (or 290's) would be a pretty magnificent build.

Ewww....they're only 60Hz?? Totally agree with your choice not to go 4k yet. Based on what you typed...I wouldn't even think about 4K for a couple years.

Yeah...pushing 3 1440p monitors takes some major horsepower. Are you really thinking of waiting to build your dream machine? 3 1440's and maybe tri-(or quad) 780's (or 290's) would be a pretty magnificent build.

I am taking a 2 stage approach:

Stage 1: purchasing all long term components and a temporary graphics card/s pushing a single 27" ROG Swift

Stage 2: add next gen water cooled maxwell cards to push a big 4k screen or 3 x ROG Swifts in Nvidea Surround

Here is my revised stage 1 build so far:

CPU - 4960x Extreme
RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 4x4gb
GPUs - R9 290x (possibly 2) - I want to play BF4, Titan Fall and Elder scrolls maxed out on a single ROG Swift
HD - Samsung Pro series ssd 512gb
PSU - EVGA Super Nova 1300w gold
Case - Corsair 900D
Cooling & Fans - put up a thread for help

The only wrench in plan is if I decide to wait for the Haswell-e CPUs. I am not sure how much they will affect gaming performance. Any thoughts?

Thats a waste of money to buy and rebuy, but... it is your cash...and also, we have a couple of stories going on in a couple of threads... tough to help and follow...(I merged your two monitor threads together here).

That said, no point in 4960 extreme, get a 4930K and save $500. This is best for your build thread...which I think you have two of there as well?

Last edited:
Thats a waste of money to buy and rebuy, but... it is your cash...and also, we have a couple of stories going on in a couple of threads... tough to help and follow...(I merged your two monitor threads together here).

That said, no point in 4960 extreme, get a 4930K and save $500. This is best for your build thread...which I think you have two of there as well?

Thanks EarthDog and noted on the 4930K.Do you think the Haswell-e cpus coming out later this year will have big impact on gaming compared to the 4930k?

I am not really buying then rebuying/replacing as such. In stage 2 I am going to allocate the previous GPU and monitor to another computer of mine.

Very little impact on gaming if any at all. If you are ready now, the rig you have listed will last for a couple years no problem. Perhaps even a GPU upgrade in two years or so, but the underpinings (cpu/board/ram/etc) will be fine for a gaming rig. Its like gaming on a 2600k from 3 years ago.. PLENTY of horsepower.

I have ordered most of my stage 1 parts except the GPU/s
I have ordered for Stage 1:
CPU - 4930k
RAM - Corsair Vengeance 2400 4x4gb
Motherboard - Asus Rampage Black Edition
GPUs -I want to play BF4, Titan Fall and Elder scrolls maxed out on a single ROG Swift
HD - Samsung Pro series ssd 512gb
PSU - EVGA Super Nova 1300w gold
Case - Corsair 900D

As my monitor will have Gsync (ROC Swift), I would like some advice on what value setup will allow me to max out setting on ultra at 1440p and hopefully close to 120fps. As a short term solution, I am happy to purchase either a single high end card (780ti or 290x) or two of the less expensive cards (290 or 770s). Also please note noise in an important factor for me, hence why I have the MSI cards listed below.

Here are the UK prices:

3GB:
MSI 780ti
£542

MSI 780
£390

4GB:
MSI r9 290x
£436

MSI r9 290
£357

Gigabyte 4GB OC 770
£310

As you can see 2 x 4GB 770s cost just a bit more than 780ti. Would they out perform a 780ti for this purpose? The bus is only 256 on the 770s though.

If the answer above is yes, would you choose the 2 770s over 2x r9 290s, when considering gsync and price?

Would you choose 2 x 290s over a Titan Black?

Thanks for the helping me on this journey!

Last edited:
As mentioned previously, I would be looking at 2 290s or 2 290x. But since you have gysync monitor, aren't you REQUIRED to use an nvidia gpu? If so, grab 2 780s, but really for you multi monitor needs I would have went amd.

You also.could have saved a ton of money going with a lesser board. No need at for you for that board, nor the 2400mhz ram...

Back