• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Monitor in an 3 Screen Eyefinity Setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kill8r

Registered
I could use some help please.

I am considering buying three monitors for a new eyefinity setup. I have never had a multi monitor setup and could really use some guidance. Please note that this is for gaming purposes and the cost of the screen isn't a major factor (approx $500 per screen is fine).

I came across the Dell U2414h which is meant to have the thinnest bezel on the market. However it has its downsides.
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...19&dgc=BA&l=en&lid=4970696&s=dhs&sku=860-BBCG

Positives:
+Thinnest Bezel available at 6mm
+ 24 inch screen size

Negatives:
- only 1080p
- 8ms response time
- 60hz refresh rate

A few questions please:
  1. How bad is an 8ms response time in reality?
  2. What would you consider the best screen for a multiscreen setup, considering performance, size and bezel?
  3. Would you prefer one large uber screen?

Thanks

Last edited:
1. Its not.
2. Not sure...
3. Yes.

I hope you have the horsepower (Videocards) to drive three monitors... You would want, at minimum a 290x or a 780ti... and even then, some titles will not be playable. So it is best to maybe get 2 780's (non ti) or 2 290's.

Grab a 27" 2560x1440/1600 and one of the GPUs I listed.

1. Its not.
2. Not sure...
3. Yes.

I hope you have the horsepower (Videocards) to drive three monitors... You would want, at minimum a 290x or a 780ti... and even then, some titles will not be playable. So it is best to maybe get 2 780's (non ti) or 2 290's.

Grab a 27" 2560x1440/1600 and one of the GPUs I listed.

May I ask why you would prefer 1 large screen instead of 3 matching screens? Don't you see more in game real estate with 3 screens?

Yes I will have the horsepower. I am building a new rig. GPUs not finalised but probably 2 x 780 EVGA Hydro Coppers

Because of the bezels... though I hear they disappear when gaming. It is just a lot of up keep and potential hassle for the little gains it yields. You will always require expensive hardware to push modern games to good FPS with 3 monitors. There are potential issues with multi-gpu setups as well (heat, power consumption, scaling, etc).

You also may want to look at, and I hate to say it because they ar esoooo expensive due to mining, you should get a 4GB card like 2 290s. 3GB on multi-monitor setups is really the minimum. For example, in BF4 on my 2560x1440 screen I use 2.4-2.6GB vRAM... you will use more out of the gate on that title. As time goes on, we are using more vram. Now, you can mitigate that issue by lowering AA and other vRAM hogs, but... I would go AMD if you are going 3 monitors simply for the vram. Or wait and see what Nvidia's new GPus will bring around mid-year.

Because of the bezels... though I hear they disappear when gaming. It is just a lot of up keep and potential hassle for the little gains it yields. You will always require expensive hardware to push modern games to good FPS with 3 monitors. There are potential issues with multi-gpu setups as well (heat, power consumption, scaling, etc).

You also may want to look at, and I hate to say it because they ar esoooo expensive due to mining, you should get a 4GB card like 2 290s. 3GB on multi-monitor setups is really the minimum. For example, in BF4 on my 2560x1440 screen I use 2.4-2.6GB vRAM... you will use more out of the gate on that title. As time goes on, we are using more vram. Now, you can mitigate that issue by lowering AA and other vRAM hogs, but... I would go AMD if you are going 3 monitors simply for the vram. Or wait and see what Nvidia's new GPus will bring around mid-year.

Thanks for some very helpful advice!

I just came across this which looks interesting http://pcmonitors.info/lg/lg-34um95-219-but-bigger

I won't have the ability to wait till the middle of the year and I hope to be able to play all upcoming releases with everything maxed out for at least the next 12 months (hopefully more), so advice on cards for a 3 monitor setup is much appreciated. I have a somewhat flexible budget of approx £1,000 to £1200 for the cards.

Thanks Again

As I said above, for 3 1080p monitors, I would go 2 290s.

Is there a big difference between the 290 and 290x?

In the UK a 290 is quite a bit less expensive than the gtx 780, I could get 3 290s for the price of 2 780 Hydro coppers. Would 3 x 290s offer much additional benefit over 2 and help ensure the longevity of playing upcoming games on max?

Thanks for the help!

I wouldn't get three personally... scaling makes it not worth it. Perhaps step up to dual 290x in that case.

Make an honest assessment of the games you are going to play.

If you really like driving simulators (Iracing, Asetto Corsa), three screens cannot be beat.

For many others it is a fun experience (Fallout 3, Boarderlands 2 Etc.).

Keep in mind, eyfinity/surround is something you will always be playing with to make it work.

As much as I love my setup, I'm with EarthDog. For the majority of people, one large high res monitor is the way to go.

Make an honest assessment of the games you are going to play.

If you really like driving simulators (Iracing, Asetto Corsa), three screens cannot be beat.

For many others it is a fun experience (Fallout 3, Boarderlands 2 Etc.).

Keep in mind, eyfinity/surround is something you will always be playing with to make it work.

As much as I love my setup, I'm with EarthDog. For the majority of people, one large high res monitor is the way to go.

Here is a breakdown of my game usage:
60% FPS (BF4, Titanfall....)
25% Strategy (Company of Heroes, Civ 5...)
15% 3rd person Elder Scrolls, WOW, Splinter Cell, Assasins Creed

I was swayed away from three screens for a few reasons.

The additional power required to drive them.
The desk space they take up.
Those Korean displays are awesome.
Oculus Rift should be out this year. I won't need the monitors when gaming. For now I compromised and got a TrackIR 5.

I picked up the WQHD 27" (Yamakasi DS270 I think) and couldn't be happier.

4k monitor or 3 x ROG Swift?

I decided to delay buying my 3 monitors until the ROG swift is released in April.
http://rog.asus.com/296852014/news/pr-asus-announces-rog-swift-pg278q-premium-gaming-monitor/

I am now wondering if I should just go for a single large 4k Display.

If you could choose between 3 x ROG swifts (at around $2,100) or a larger single 4k monitor at a similar budget what would you choose, assuming you had the hardware to push it on maxed settings?

If 4k is the answer which monitor would you choose.

I love widescreen (3D) gaming and, since they're 120Hz, might be possible to get 3d vision surround working.

That said...if I was buying soon (and assuming money's no object for the system), I'd get a 4k (and try, over time, to get 3 of them hehe)

I love widescreen (3D) gaming and, since they're 120Hz, might be possible to get 3d vision surround working.

That said...if I was buying soon (and assuming money's no object for the system), I'd get a 4k (and try, over time, to get 3 of them hehe)

Which 4k monitor would you choose (around the $2,100 to $2,500 mark)

No idea...haven't researched them. You asked for an opinion not actual real information ;)

This looks sexy, http://www.2560x1440monitor.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=63&product_id=97 but I am still tempted by the extra real estate of 3 screens

You can buy 3 :)

If you want 1 big monitor, you could choose from here, http://www.2560x1440monitor.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=63 make sure you one that is pixel perfect.

The 6ms response times seem quite slow for FPS games. They do seem like good value though.

Back