• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seasonic Platinum 1000W or 1200W

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think you should get what you want. All kinds of people gave me crap for buying my Seasonic Platinum. "Waste of money, should have gotten a Corsair" or "Platinum is a waste of money" were common themes. But I have brand loyalty to Seasonic, given my track record with them, and their reputation. They are one of the very best, and if I have to pay a little extra, the fact is, I am PROUD and HAPPY with the PSU I have now. I know that my 8-core is being provided with clean power. I know that this PSU will last as long as any PSU in the same situation.

Same way everyone gave me crap for getting an H60i. "Waste of money, go custom water." Or "High end air would be better". Well, the fact is I wanted to test out an All in One water cooler for myself, and I have actually been very happy with it. Once I get my PWM splitters, I'm really excited to run it Push-Pull with some old Noctua fans I've had sitting around for a while. Plus I get to utilize my top 200mm fan mount as an exhaust, finally.

Enough about me. In my opinion, a computer is a great outlet for self-expression. If you want a particular PSU, or RAM with heatsinks that look how you like them (even if they're $10 more and the timings aren't as tight) then buy what you like. It's YOUR computer, not an E-Peen competition.

I think you should get what you want. All kinds of people gave me crap for buying my Seasonic Platinum. "Waste of money, should have gotten a Corsair" or "Platinum is a waste of money" were common themes. But I have brand loyalty to Seasonic, given my track record with them, and their reputation. They are one of the very best, and if I have to pay a little extra, the fact is, I am PROUD and HAPPY with the PSU I have now. I know that my 8-core is being provided with clean power. I know that this PSU will last as long as any PSU in the same situation.

Same way everyone gave me crap for getting an H60i. "Waste of money, go custom water." Or "High end air would be better". Well, the fact is I wanted to test out an All in One water cooler for myself, and I have actually been very happy with it. Once I get my PWM splitters, I'm really excited to run it Push-Pull with some old Noctua fans I've had sitting around for a while. Plus I get to utilize my top 200mm fan mount as an exhaust, finally.

Enough about me. In my opinion, a computer is a great outlet for self-expression. If you want a particular PSU, or RAM with heatsinks that look how you like them (even if they're $10 more and the timings aren't as tight) then buy what you like. It's YOUR computer, not an E-Peen competition.

And you absolutely wasted your money for a 760W on an 8320/560Ti system.

There are plenty of Seasonics in the 500W range that would have been overkill for your system.

Edit: also, if it isn't an e-peen contest, why buy a massively overkill PSU?

Last edited:
Giggles. You do it for giggles.

I giggle every time I think about my main system.
Stock 3770k (wheeee 80w on a super bad day!).
Stock GTX580 (240w).
Buncha normal stuff.
1000w PSU.
It's funny!
It was even funnier when I was using a 1350w PSU.

Why was I doing it and why am I doing it? I already have the PSUs, and it's costing me maybe three cents a month in lost efficiency.

Context is important... like....... did you pay for those or where they review samples (you already had them so... that takes out the main discussion point of BUYING an overkill PSU, no)? Are they used at some point like for benching? As I said, the efficiency thing isn't a big deal, however, the cost of a platy unit over a gold is... while also losing pennies a month. :p

And you absolutely wasted your money for a 760W on an 8320/560Ti system.

There are plenty of Seasonics in the 500W range that would have been overkill for your system.

Edit: also, if it isn't an e-peen contest, why buy a massively overkill PSU?

It's not massively overkill if someday I win the lottery and decide to get dual 780s or 290s. I will never have to upgrade this PSU, unless it dies. And I got it on Black Friday for $120 with no MIR. So it was a future-proofing step. I had a 600W Non-Modular Corsair at the time, which still works, so I may use it in a backup rig in the future.

Context is important... like....... did you pay for those or where they review samples (you already had them so... that takes out the main discussion point of BUYING an overkill PSU, no)? Are they used at some point like for benching? As I said, the efficiency thing isn't a big deal, however, the cost of a platy unit over a gold is... while also losing pennies a month. :p

Ha! NEITHER!
Didn't see that coming, did you?
It's an engineering sample. No review for it, didn't have to pay for it either.

As far as buying goes, the only reason not to buy a 1kw unit when you only need 500w is how much it costs. If you want to have room to grow and have the money, why not?

I too am for buying what you need, but when you're talking about a $120 to $200 part that has a resale value of roughly squat, it's far from a bad idea to buy more than you need if you think you might want to add a second GPU later.
Of that $120 you spend on a correctly sized unit you might manage to clear $60 in a year, if you're lucky and it's pristine.

Now all that said, I'm also very much against spending money you don't need to spend.
It's an issue.

I always overbuy the power supply, because I never know what else I may plug in later.
Dual water pumps, external rad fans or blowers, e-SATA bluray burner....I've done some convoluted builds!

It's not massively overkill if someday I win the lottery and decide to get dual 780s or 290s. I will never have to upgrade this PSU, unless it dies. And I got it on Black Friday for $120 with no MIR. So it was a future-proofing step. I had a 600W Non-Modular Corsair at the time, which still works, so I may use it in a backup rig in the future.

The point is that you could take the extra money and get a better GPU, maybe the next size up SSD, a couple of cooling fans, etc.

The point is that you could take the extra money and get a better GPU, maybe the next size up SSD, a couple of cooling fans, etc.

That's fair. But I am of the opinion that initially investing more in the parts that don't go obsolete (Case, Peripherals, PSU, fans, etc) is the best way to future-proof. If you cheap out on the PSU and get a crappy case, then buy a 295X2 and find out that your case airflow sucks and your PSU can't handle it, then you have to buy a better one anyway. With the setup I have right now, I could legitimately buy any GPU I wanted, and I know for sure it will function.

Bottom line is the OP threw this out here, With that said it is our responsibility to completely confuse him with multiple opinions, brands and TDP values and personal opinions.

We need to be certain once he logs off he has no idea what to get :rofl:

@ OP, just kidding bro, lots of good stuff in here...... :thup:

That's fair. But I am of the opinion that initially investing more in the parts that don't go obsolete (Case, Peripherals, PSU, fans, etc) is the best way to future-proof. If you cheap out on the PSU and get a crappy case, then buy a 295X2 and find out that your case airflow sucks and your PSU can't handle it, then you have to buy a better one anyway. With the setup I have right now, I could legitimately buy any GPU I wanted, and I know for sure it will function.

I never suggested "cheaping out" on the PSU, I simply suggested getting one that fits the system specs.
A good quality 500-550W would power any single GPU system for as long as your 760W will.

Whats he gonna upgrade???

I have a I7-4770K overclock to 4.2 ghz. I also have 32 GB of RAM and 2 AMD R9 290X video cards. I have two SSD and two HDD

Then again,

Whats he gonna upgrade???

I don't understand why people try to exactly match their PSU's to their requirements, as start up spikes, interim spikes and heat can play a factor into the longevity of ANY power supply (no matter how good it is). I don't know enough about PC power supplies, but in general, you always want a good buffer on ratings for your electrical components. (Go check out power factor and start up current)

"100w buffer" is well and good on a 500w system. It becomes half as relevant at 1000w...

As a side question, sorta fits this thread... at what point does a power supply unit become "over kill"? 100w, 200w, 500w? I have a hard time believing a system running at 700w with a 1000w power supply is "over kill". More than you need? Certainly. Unreasonably high? :shrug: I certainly would never run it with a 700-750w PSU myself. 850w probably the best bet for this system I would agree.

I don't know enough about PC power supplies

This became quite obvious multiple times in your post.

Wouldn't run it off 750W? Why not?
Because the system will pull less than 600W with full system loading at stock.

An 850W unit will allow overclocking to the moon, along with full custom water cooling, while still allowing a buffer.

Please, learn to calculate how much a system will actually pull and how to place the system in a PSU's efficiency curve properly.

Well, what you first quoted from ATM he was talking to Tyerker... look at his signature to see what he could have upgraded... (the GPU... a better or bigger SSD perhaps?).

I don't think anybody here is exactly matching their PSU's to their requirements. We always suggest a buffer for upgrades. I can tell you, at least according to my kill-a-watt, that my startup wattage is not close to my gaming load. So while planning for transient response may be worthwhile, that is already built in with the buffer that most people would suggest and startup loads are really not a problem in the first place.

As far as overkill, that is in the eye of the beholder/person helping in my opinion. I like to run my PSU's in the 80% range give or take. For your specific example, 700W with a 1000W PSU I would call more than you need/overkill. A 850W PSU would be my 'sweetspot' for 700W of ACTUAL use (meaning not from the kill-a-watt) and that would like save enough money to get some beers or a decent bite to eat... For example, comparing the Seasonic X850 ($170) to the Seasonic 1KW ($240) is a difference of $70!!!! That is why I would make THAT choice. Though to be fair, those lines tend to blur a bit with less powerful units.

Most people would probably flip their lid if they heard the hardware I run on what PSU... GTX690 and 3570K on a 550W PSU comes to mind... or my current 295x2 and 4930K on a 750W PSU...

Last edited:
For example, comparing the Seasonic X850 ($170) to the Seasonic 1KW ($240) is a difference of $70!!!! That is why I would make THAT choice. Though to be fair, those lines tend to blur a bit with less powerful units.

To further this point, the OP got the SuperNova G2 850W for $110.
The Seasonic 1kW at $240 is MORE THAN DOUBLE.

That $130 could be an 840 EVO 250GB!

And considering the Seasonic Platinum 860XP2 is $10 more than the Gold X850, kind of hard (in my mind) to justify not taking that extra step up...

And considering the Seasonic Platinum 860XP2 is $10 more than the Gold X850, kind of hard (in my mind) to justify not taking that extra step up...
That was just an example... not a suggestion...

But all other things the same, why would you spend the extra $10? I can see if you are a miner or a folder, but otherwise, that $10 likely won't be made up for the life of the PSU.

Platinum and gold was not a talking point here and neither is a tiny difference of $10 though... :)

EDIT: I like Witchdoctor's post... we are here to educate (and confuse). What a user does is THEIR choice. We just try to steer them away from the extreme's, which is what we (tried) to do here.

Last edited:

That would still go back to why not buy the SuperNova G2 850W at $110?
That's $60 cheaper than the Gold X850 and $70 cheaper than the Platinum 860XP2.

Not to mention the SuperNova G2 850W gets better scores from JonnyGuru, and has double the warranty.

This became quite obvious multiple times in your post.

Wouldn't run it off 750W? Why not?
Because the system will pull less than 600W with full system loading at stock.

An 850W unit will allow overclocking to the moon, along with full custom water cooling, while still allowing a buffer.

Please, learn to calculate how much a system will actually pull and how to place the system in a PSU's efficiency curve properly.

I was actually more "asking" than "telling". As far as the system running at 600w, I don't see how thats possible. A single 290x will pull 295w peak, so 2 would be 590w. Add in an overclocked i7 4770k, whats that 115w? Add in the extreneous and you're pulling dangerously close to maxing out a 750w power supply. He's not running "stock" as indicated in his OP.

Here's some numbers. PLEASE tell me where I'm "failing" my "calculations"?
http://www.legitreviews.com/xfx-radeon-r9-290-crossfire-video-card-review-at-4k-ultra-hd_139418/11

I appreciate that its a 4960x, but those aren't pulling 200w MORE than 4770k's overclocked...

Here's another one...

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/58...b-in-crossfire-video-card-review/index23.html

For this kind of setup, we'd recommend nothing less than a quality 1000-watt power supply.

I wasn't trying to be bratty, but Im really curious where you're coming up with "600w" ... as that number is much much too low given real world testing data.

Back