• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone have experience using windows run MemTest 3.6?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Soulmancer

I tried running this windows program to test 2 of my 4 gigs of unused ram. it crashed my computer numerous times, and then reported over 250 errors on my memory... is this an actual reliable program or does it not give accurate readings with Vista or 4 gigs of ram? I hope so otherwise my ram is prolly hooped.

Only way to get accurate memory testing is to run the test outside of the OS. Memtest86+ is the only reliable memory testing utilty out there IMO.

As noted, run Memtest in DOS. You can do it with a bootable floppy, bootable CD, or a USB flash drive.

I used windows memtest a couple years back and it reported errors quickly. A marathon 48 hour run of memtest86+ proved that the ram was perfect and the windows utility was hosed.

I avoid running windows memtest. Because of the high probability of ram failure (higher than any other component except maybe the PSU) I always run new RAM through a 24 hour (minimum) run of memtest86+ before I trust a system.

Of course, my systems are used as either audio or photographic workstations, so a failure can mean hours of lost work, and sometimes lost inspiration. I always spend the bux on my ram and PSU.

I used windows memtest a couple years back and it reported errors quickly. A marathon 48 hour run of memtest86+ proved that the ram was perfect and the windows utility was hosed.

I avoid running windows memtest. Because of the high probability of ram failure (higher than any other component except maybe the PSU) I always run new RAM through a 24 hour (minimum) run of memtest86+ before I trust a system.

Of course, my systems are used as either audio or photographic workstations, so a failure can mean hours of lost work, and sometimes lost inspiration. I always spend the bux on my ram and PSU.
AGREED! And, time is money so I ALWAYS put a moderate OC on our video systems (for my wife's business) for faster rendering. A few minutes per day adds up.

Back