• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building Cheap Filer Server (Host w/VM)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

scj6771

Registered
Looking for parts to piece together a file server, nothing special, only budget items, I do already have the GPU (Radeon R7 370) and CPU (CPU: i3-6100 3.70GHz), I am looking for a cheap mobo, case, power supply and memory (16 GB) to complete the build, the cheaper the better.

Are you looking for recommendations from us or are you polling the community for those who might have appropriate used parts for sale? Are you in the USA? If not, where? What are your options for vendors?

Are you looking for technical advise as to what you should purchase? I guess I don't understand what you are asking of us. Since you already have many of the parts you need that should guide you to the rest of what to purchase. Just look for good buys. Since you already have the CPU that tells you what socket type motherboard you need and memory as well. Socket 170 motherboard, DDR 4 memory. Most any motherboard with that socket would suffice. File servers don't need high end parts. I would think 8 gb DDR4 2133 mhz memory would be sufficient. You don't even need a video card as your i3 CPU has built in video.

Back