• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vertex 2 Speed...Slow!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sphinx4311

Registered
Hello, I purchased my Vertex 2 50gb 3 days ago, put my OS on it and it boots Windows fast as hell. But when I run HD Tune it says my SSD Reads at 186 MAX, 165 Average, 116 Min. These seem pretty low in my opinion, are they? I tested my RAID 0 with 2 1tb drives and its Average on HD Tune Pro is 198! Alot faster than my SSD. Whats up? My RAID Controller is ICh10R, and its set as RAID. I was told that the SSD perfomance wouldnt be effected by it being in RAID. That a problem?

run atto or AS ssd, why do you run a program meant for mechanical drives on a SSD? did you enable write back caching to the drive?

*i only ran it just to see how it would show the results. check link in sig*

Yes HDTune is hard on SSD's , for true world performance use IO Meter.

Tony ( at OCZ forum) has a few test runs for IO Meter in the stickys....

I was just wondering why does HDTune program not work with SSD? Is it because it just can't handle the speed.:comp:

I was just wondering why does HDTune program not work with SSD? Is it because it just can't handle the speed.:comp:
At least part of the problem is that the reads of HDTune is single-threaded, i.e. one read request is issued to the drive and the next one isn't issued until the first one is finished. A single flash chip isn't any faster than a hard drive but SSDs get their high read/write performance by reading and writing to multiple flash chips at the same time. When HDTune does its single-threaded reads the SSD can only read from multiple flash chips if it gets lucky and the data happens to be spread out on several chips. Something like ATTO, which I believe is what OCZ uses to for their advertised read and write speeds, by default issues up to four read or write requests at the same time allowing the SSD to read and write to many flash chips at the same time and thus get high performance results. This is also more realistic of real desktop usage. You usually do have more that one thing wanting to read/write data to your hard drive/SSD. On average you have around 3-4 simultaneous requests going on.

Back