• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Can you use ports on both cards with 2 R9 270x's in crossfire?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheCapedAvenger

Registered
have been googleing and searching overclockers forums for a while and havnt found anything but i remember seeing somewhere that you can only use ports on one video card if they are in crossfire. is this true or can i use ports on both R9 270x's? im wanting to use 2 on DVI and get 3 active miniDP to DVI adapters to use 5 screens but each card has 2 DVI, 1 HDMI, and 2 miniDP (and i hear i cant use the HDMI and both DVI at the same time :p). so to use 5 screens i want to use 2 DVI and one DP on one card and both DP on the other. if that wont work will i have to get an active miniDP to 2 or 3 DVI adapter and use only one card?

If your in crossfire only the main card will output a signal. On my 7950s in cross I use 2dvi's, 1 dp , and 1 hdmi. If you want to use ports on both cards its simple just take it out of crossfire

Last edited:
....If you want to use ports on both cards its simple just take it out of crossfire

ya i heard that but id rather not. i want to run 5760x1080 in a few games and use the other 2 monitors for other stuff (maybe one as a tv) but i dont want to force one card to do that all the time.

a paper that came with my video card says that i can only ever use 2 DVI or 1 DVI and 1 HDMI and for any more than 2 monitors i need the rest on displayport but in crossfire ill only have 2 ports. do i just get a miniDP to DVI and miniDP to 2 DVI or a miniDP to 3 DVI to fix that or do i need something more special than that for 2 screens on one displayport output?

im not finding a mini display port to 2 or 3 DVI adapter. do they exist, will it work well for gaming, and where can i get a good one for ~$50 (2 DVI output) to ~$75 (3 DVI output)?

wanting a 5 screen setup on my cards (in signature) and i hear i cant use both DVI's and the HDMI at the same time.

so i scraped the 5th screen for now (may pick it up much later down the road) and have just 4 screens.
setup is
dvi
dvi
mini DP
mini DP
but i can only ever get 3 to work at one time. is there a special setting to add the 4th? running win 8 and have all drivers up to date.

EDIT: only using ~400MB of ram with the 3 screens (all at 1920x1080)

Last edited:
well i got it to work on the 4 screens but every time i go to arrange them in an upside-down T configuration (3 on bot 4th above the middle) it just switches it back to a linear setup. i got it to work in a square setup but i dont want that. i want to game on the bottom 3 and have the top one for temp monitors etc. or a game guide... thanks for the help.

Back