• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

win2k slow startups please help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tom kruze

ok when i start up my computer it goes through everything super quick post black screen with bar at the bottom but when it loads the boot screen it goes halfway with the blue bar at the bottom then hangs for like 40 seconds? Anyone possibly know what the cause is. I just reformatted and it didnt do this before. here are my specs.

AMD Athlon sockett a 950
Tyan Trinity
320mb SDRam
Windows 2000
Western Digital 20gb 5400rpm

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would try doing a search for the many posts about how to tweak win2k. Usually win2k boots up very slowly b/c of the many services that have to be opened at startup. But I don't think those load till after the boot screen. Since you just reformated, I really don't know what the problem could be. Do you have any HDD activity during those 40 seconds at all??? Try going into your bios and seeing if you have UDMA enabled for your HDD to take some load off your cpu.

good luck

yea i cant really tell if there is hdd activity my damn led is broken haha owell and dma is selected for my hd and i dont know either what could be causing this. But thanks for the reply

It's getting hung up on drivers. Mine does the same thing when it tries to load the RAID drivers rather than the ATA drivers for my motherboard.

that might be it but its a fresh install and not sure why it would do that. no raid here so that cant be it thanks for the info though.

is it a fresh install and you didnt install the device drivers yet? whats the chipset on that board? make sure you have the IDE (and the chipset) drivers all properly installed and running...

Oni no Oni u were absolouty right i went into my device manager and looked into all my devices and my mouse was not registerd right it was a microsoft wheel mouse optical said generic mouse under mouse but it didnt say usb. So i installed the drivers and walla my startups are much faster thanks Oni no Oni and oTTO.

thanks guys

Back