• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Steam and linux = happy!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DocClock aka MadClocker

Hey all, I just got my linux mint to work, and got steam up and running, and am now installing my games...now I just hope they work in linux as well as they do in windows if at all.
We shall see but hey, I'm just glad I got this os running

Isn't Valve pushing for full Linux support?

Glad to hear you have it working. Do you have any confirmed Linux supported games?

Yeah baby! That's the best news I've heard! Once I know for sure it works 100% with the games, I'm dumping winblows :clap:

Yeah baby! That's the best news I've heard! Once I know for sure it works 100% with the games, I'm dumping winblows :clap:

Winblows. I Like. :thup:

I'm almost 100% sure I read somewhere that they want to make everything supported on Linux. I'll try and find some articles. GabeN is a Linux fan which is probably why they want to fully support it. That and how Valve is a HUGE supporter of any kind of software even remotely close to open source and user driven content.

Check out the interviews with Valve employees video in this article. It is very very interesting. Don't bother reading the article.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/valve-voice-actor-says-half-life-3-not-in-development/1100-6413036/

If most games are Direct3D how would you be able to play them on Linux? I'd imagine MS won't play cooperate w/anyone who wants to write OpenGL wrappers for Direct3D.

I've always had the impression that AMD and Nvidia Linux graphics drivers were always less-than-optimal -- at least for gaming.

Good to hear :D More people are getting on board with this. Steam is a big movement in that direction competition and diversity is only good for us! The other big announcement recently was with Star Citizen they just officially announced they will be supporting linux with their game. Maybe more will start following their lead

If most games are Direct3D how would you be able to play them on Linux? I'd imagine MS won't play cooperate w/anyone who wants to write OpenGL wrappers for Direct3D.

I've always had the impression that AMD and Nvidia Linux graphics drivers were always less-than-optimal -- at least for gaming.

openGL wrappers have been done before in the past. mainly needed to be done for the 3DFX glide API to OpenGL. now the catch is, if we can get game devs to go back to engines that are OpenGL based it would be a done deal. as then the game wouldnt need much work to work in both Linux or Windows. one of the best cases of this is ID's Quake3A, OpenGL engine and didnt take much to give it linux support.

just like back in the day OpenGL gave better FPS and in one case as in Homeworld, OpenGL looked better. i cant seem to find the newest article but they were touting OpenGL fps being higher then DX due to headroom needed in the driver. well just like yesteryear OGL gave better FPS then too. ironic thing back in the day NV cards rocked the FPS game with OpenGL engine based games. From what i have noticed all current games are DX, there is not one i can think of that is OpenGL based. as it would be nice to see if NV's approach to gpu design is still the strong arm in OGL vs AMD/ATI cards.

I remember my PCI 3dFx Voodoo 3/2000. I don't think there were any other 3d accelerator cards back then except 3dFx (not counting Matrox here)? Maybe Nvidia was just starting out?

I remember reading that Nvidia was the company responsible for killing off 3dFx as well -- and by underhanded means as well. I remember peeps back then saying they would never buy nvidia cards after that.

I'm all on-board w/PC gaming going to Linux. It's just too bad MS has a large influence over PC gaming, both indirectly and directly, through DirectX and their consoles. Maybe if the Sony moved to Linux as their OS base for the Playstation. What OS does the PS3/PS4 run? I hope it's not MS based.

I don't think the latest Id game (Rage) ever made it to Linux.

3DFX was one of the first to market with a 3D card, the V3's where teh first wit 2d built in. NV wasnt far behind for 3d back then, we also had PowerVR based cards as well as Intels around the time of Quake3A.

the biggest thing that hurt 3DFX was the getting the Voodoo 5 6000 out. which would have been the first retail card to need a power supply aka voodoo volts. it never made it out of prototype stage. it had 4 vsa 100 chips, but due to the cost of the project and not having anything to beat nv or ati. they went under, NV bought of the IP that 3DFX had.

now the odd part, forget the name of the company. they were already using boards with 8 vsa100 chips with interlinks to other boards, so they were the first to need its own psu, being 5v with i think it was 60amps. also the first 2+ sli setup, they mainly sold to the GOV for flight sim training graphics processing. they were able to do 2xAA back then with no FPS drop, as in able to keep a solid 60fps with 2xAA. was never able to find out what resolution they were running but they were running three displays.

i didnt think rage was OGL? MS was more incontrol on the pc side with its DX push. they would off money to devs to push DX as a standard.

I ran half life 2 and I was at somewhere around 5 or 6 fps if that...although, I am running onboard intel hd 3000 graphics, but I'm not sure if I even have the correct drivers loaded or just generic vga drivers? I have no idea as to where to look....so I will poke around and see what trouble I can get into.

I ran half life 2 and I was at somewhere around 5 or 6 fps if that...although, I am running onboard intel hd 3000 graphics, but I'm not sure if I even have the correct drivers loaded or just generic vga drivers? I have no idea as to where to look....so I will poke around and see what trouble I can get into.

That seems low, even for an HD3000. I was able to run Source games at a higher framerate on my netbook using an Atom and the Intel GMA graphics, if you can call them that. And by "run" source games, I mean 10-15fps, absolute minimum settings.

I started messing with Linux and Steam about a year ago, and its been both fun and rewarding!

Current test rig is using a 6970, with an i7 950 and 6GB RAM. I went with AMD because it was accepted at the time that AMD's Linux driver and performance wasn't as good as nVidia's and I wanted to see how bad it was.

Out of my steam game library, I think 13 games are ready to go on Linux. The most hardware intense one I have is Serious Sam BFE I believe. The biggest hurdle I seem to encounter with games now is not the GPU performance, but the multi-threaded (or lack of) use.

EDIT: I agree also that once more games are in Linux, I will drop Windows entirely. I can't wait. I think Microsoft is losing their gaming share (yes I realize the xbone is out) slowly. OpenGL is more than a match for DirectX currently, and with it being the cross platform solution, its a no brainer for smaller companies to develop their product using it to make it more widely available. I almost forgot Portal and Portal 2 run awesome :)

Last edited:
Back