• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Android Tablets, 7" or 10"?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pejsaboy

I realize that not all tablets are created equal, but with the Nexus7 putting a 7" tablet into the game with the Tegra3 processor, there really isn't a ton of separation between the 7" and 10" tablets anymore. I'm also not considering the different levels of portability between the two as I wouldn't stick a 7" tablet in my back pocket, as I've seen a couple of reviews mention is possible. This is aimed more at those of you who have experience with both sizes, but cost aside, do you prefer a 7" or 10" tablet?

like you said, if i cant put it in my pocket might as well go big and stick with 10"

I personally prefer the 7". I had an original iPad and have a Kindle Fire (rooted, running CM9) and a ASUS TF300T (fairly recent quiet relief, it's a cheaper Transformer Prime).

I do have extremely small hands.

I realize that not all tablets are created equal, but with the Nexus7 putting a 7" tablet into the game with the Tegra3 processor, there really isn't a ton of separation between the 7" and 10" tablets anymore. I'm also not considering the different levels of portability between the two as I wouldn't stick a 7" tablet in my back pocket, as I've seen a couple of reviews mention is possible. This is aimed more at those of you who have experience with both sizes, but cost aside, do you prefer a 7" or 10" tablet?

10 ALL THE WAY! i love my hp touchpad. the nexus 7 is a bit too small for my taste.

yea im pretty happy with my tf201 asus prime i couldn't imagine it being only 7" kind of wish there was a 12" model lol

yea im pretty happy with my tf201 asus prime i couldn't imagine it being only 7" kind of wish there was a 12" model lol

SAME HERE!!!. when i got the hp touchpad i thoguht it was way too small. if anything there should be a 10 inch wide screen tablet. brb watching netflix with no bars on the top and bottom comfortably from my own bed!

I personally prefer the 7". I had an original iPad and have a Kindle Fire (rooted, running CM9) and a ASUS TF300T (fairly recent quiet relief, it's a cheaper Transformer Prime).

I do have extremely small hands.

Do you like the smaller size because of your smaller hands, or is it just a better experience for what you use it for?

I just find it. extremely to hold and type on a 10"+ tablet with two hands. I've tried the thumb keyboards that split the keyboard in half, but I could never type as accurately on it.

Most people don't type as much as I do on a tablet.

Another happy HP Touchpad (ICS) user here.
Any smaller would be a pain - I basically use mine for web browsing before bed. I have a 50inch plasma to watch movies on ^_^

I have Toshiba Thrive At100, 10" tablet, and I love it. Also I have Hacker's Keyboard app for Android, and that is the best keyboard ever.
Any android user should try it.

Another happy HP Touchpad (ICS) user here.
Any smaller would be a pain - I basically use mine for web browsing before bed. I have a 50inch plasma to watch movies on ^_^

you gotta look at the field of view that the tablet takes up vs your tv from your bed. my 40 inch looks smaller than my tablet when holding my tablet at my usual distance.

I prefer 7". 10" to me is really awkward to hold.

Plus 7" is about the same size as a standard book page so its really easy to read on, and also they are perfect size for emulators that you have to tap trigger buttons at the top of the screen without being uncomfortable.

I prefer 7". 10" to me is really awkward to hold.

Plus 7" is about the same size as a standard book page so its really easy to read on, and also they are perfect size for emulators that you have to tap trigger buttons at the top of the screen without being uncomfortable.

look into the sixaxis app. you can play games with a ps3 controller.

I have a 7" Galaxy Tab 2, and feel its a great size. I like the portability of it. If I were to go for a 10"+ tab, Id just grab a laptop with a 11.6" screen. Maybe a little bulkier than the 10" tab, but itll do way more.

Depends on what I'm doing. I prefer the 7" for the portability and size. The 10" is nice for reading magazines but is a bit large when put on my desk at work. The 7" is much nicer, takes up much less space, is less conspicuous when videos are playing.
The 7" is also much easier for my son to hold on long trips when watching his videos in the back. The 10" is just too big for it to be comfortable for him for long periods.
So my opinion, get both :)

... :shock:

My fingers cant move fast enough!

Thanks! :clap:

Wonder if it works with N64 emu's guess I will try

yes it does. it also works on mame! frickken love it.

androids mame doesnt have battletoads the arcade game...

that really grinds my gears.

also, regarding 10 being too big... you can always get a stand for it and use the ps3 remote. i do this all of the time when i play some metal slug or mario 64.

yes it does. it also works on mame! frickken love it.

androids mame doesnt have battletoads the arcade game...

that really grinds my gears.

also, regarding 10 being too big... you can always get a stand for it and use the ps3 remote. i do this all of the time when i play some metal slug or mario 64.

There's MAME on Android? I think I <3 you for telling me!:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

I thought I had the expected responses going based on the initial slew of votes for the 10" size, but there is actually a fair amount of love for the smaller size as well...

I think Know Nuttin has the best logic so far, aside from the redundancy and cost factors of course ;)

Nexus 7 owner here... The size is nice, its big enough to surf and game comfortably but not so big its a pain to lug around. Now typing on it is difficult (I have average hands). I CAN'T type on it like a normal keyboard. I suspect on a 10" I could. That being said it is pretty easy to thumb type in vertical orientation. Again I'd suspect this (thumb typing) would be pretty difficult on a 10". If I were using it for a lot of note taking or content authoring I'd want a 10". But reading, vids, games, surfing, etc are all pretty good on the 7" platform. If you have a fairly portable laptop a 7" may be a nice addition to your setup. If you plan to use the tablet as your only "large" (bigger than a smartphone) mobile device I'd go for a 10". I know I am having a bit of a problem finding uses for the tablet between my smartphone and notebook.

Back