• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Android Tablets, 7" or 10"?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That is kind of the quandary I'm at, Immortal Hero. I have a decent 4.3" smartphone (Evo 4g) and a 10" netbook. The portability of the netbook is good, but I mostly use it for typing homework while I sit on the couch. Mainly the addition of a tablet to my gadgetry would just let me play more games that I can't or don't want to put on my phone. I *could* use it for some level of productivity, but that's going to be less likely of course ;)

That is kind of the quandary I'm at, Immortal Hero. I have a decent 4.3" smartphone (Evo 4g) and a 10" netbook. The portability of the netbook is good, but I mostly use it for typing homework while I sit on the couch. Mainly the addition of a tablet to my gadgetry would just let me play more games that I can't or don't want to put on my phone. I *could* use it for some level of productivity, but that's going to be less likely of course ;)

if you have a data plan on your cell phone you can tether a tablet to it when you arent near a wifi. this works well on my hp touchpad. id strongly recommend a 10 inch as the nexus 7s are just too small to justify having a smart phone, a laptop AND a tablet...

id strongly recommend a 10 inch as the nexus 7s are just too small to justify having a smart phone, a laptop AND a tablet...
I tend to agree with you. I am having a real problem finding a place for my Nexus 7 other than a test device for development. About the only thing I really use it for is gaming and surfing, checking the weather, etc. I'd also consider getting one that is cell capable, with the new shared data plans it looks like it is only going to cost around $10 a month to add a tablet.

I tend to agree with you. I am having a real problem finding a place for my Nexus 7 other than a test device for development. About the only thing I really use it for is gaming and surfing, checking the weather, etc. I'd also consider getting one that is cell capable, with the new shared data plans it looks like it is only going to cost around $10 a month to add a tablet.

sadly, its wifi only. they could release a 4g one in the future... but i doubt it will be the nexus 7. google is currently using the nexus 7 as a tv remote/ video device for their internet/tv packages... sadly they arent available in california yet. at the 1gbps internet+ tv package you get a nexus 7 for free to use as a remote. theres even free internet at 5mbps if you pay 300 to cdonnect it. i wish they would have tested it in california... after all.. that is where they are from!

sadly, its wifi only. they could release a 4g one in the future... but i doubt it will be the nexus 7. google is currently using the nexus 7 as a tv remote/ video device for their internet/tv packages... sadly they arent available in california yet. at the 1gbps internet+ tv package you get a nexus 7 for free to use as a remote. theres even free internet at 5mbps if you pay 300 to cdonnect it. i wish they would have tested it in california... after all.. that is where they are from!

Is that the Google Fiber thing in Kansas City?

at that internet speed i bet it would make cloud computing even viable
for fast paced multiplayer online gaming. brb never having to buy a gaming computer again.

I was just recently deciding between this as well. Nexus 7 or Asus Transformer Infinity. I went with the Infinity with the 10" screen. IMO if im going to have a tablet I might as well get a tablet with a screen. Yes it is bigger, but nothing can be 100% perfect for all occasions.

I like the fact its big, its makes it easy to watch video's on no problems.

I used to have Motorola Xoom, Toshiba Thrive, HP Touchpad and now a Galaxy tab 7. I prefer to have a tablet 7' since it is very light to carry with you.

I used to have Motorola Xoom, Toshiba Thrive, HP Touchpad and now a Galaxy tab 7. I prefer to have a tablet 7' since it is very light to carry with you.

weight depends on the device. the hp touchpad is heavier than the ipad 2 and ipad 3 for example, but have nearly the same dimensions. anything at a poind or less should be perfectly fine for most users.

The longer I'm thinking and reading about these different sized tablets, it's basically all boiling down to screen resolution. The Nexus 7 and the transformer (my choices atm) have a 1280x800 res despite the difference in size, so that isn't really much of a selling point for me anymore. What I am seeing though, is that the tf700t has a 1920x1200 resolution. Costs more obviously, but is there really a point other than for viewing HD media? Can I put more shortcuts and widgets on a home screen, or is everything just going to look crisper while remaining the same size?

Everything will look crisper, Android will scale the size of the UI to match the screen size, not the resolution.

7" for me.
Reading ebooks will be its frequent use I want it very portable and 7" size is enough for me.

Back