• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New GPU recommendation request

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TooOld4This

Registered
Hi guys,

Please see my sig for details.

One of my GTX 560's just died on me. I want to continue on with the SLI side of things, but as my machine is getting on a bit, I don't want to throw a lot of money into new GPU's.

What would give me a decent bang for my buck considering the following:

- I won't be running over 1080p due to my monitor
- I like to try an hit 100fps (on medium eye candy settings) to utilise my monitor's 100hz refresh mode

I was thinking maybe getting two GTX 660's... :shrug:

Thanks so much in advance.

Well shop around, they come in 4Gb Vram models as well which might be a bit more future proof.

I would say use one card for 1080p. I know you want to SLI, but there is no reason for it at 1080p...

A 280x or a 770 4GB would be my choices for 1080p gaming 'bang for the buck'.

SLI brings microstutter and the risk of incompatibility. I think you should only SLI if you already have 1 very powerful GPU and your situation (ultra high res, multi monitor, etc) requires even more power. Much better to buy 1 powerful GPU vs 2 medium power GPUs.
At 1080P you have no need for 2 GPUs but your desire to run at 100FPS requires some horsepower. I'd go with a 780 or an R9 290.

SLI brings microstutter and the risk of incompatibility. I think you should only SLI if you already have 1 very powerful GPU and your situation (ultra high res, multi monitor, etc) requires even more power. Much better to buy 1 powerful GPU vs 2 medium power GPUs.
At 1080P you have no need for 2 GPUs but your desire to run at 100FPS requires some horsepower. I'd go with a 780 or an R9 290.

+1 and +1 to EarthDog too. Don't bother with SLI. So much easier with just one card.

Thanks for all the help guys.

So the general consensus here is that a GTX 770 or 780 should be suffice? So just to clarify, I will be at 1080p only, but looking for high frame rate due to 100hz monitor.

EDIT: I might add though. Even though I'm no SLi fan, I'm sitting on the fence. I did notice some really good FPS gains, when utilising my additional old GTX 560. Many times frame rate was almost completely doubled.

SLI scales great these days on titles that support it.

if you were happy with 2x 560's why not just grab another 560 on the cheap

SLI scales great these days on titles that support it.

if you were happy with 2x 560's why not just grab another 560 on the cheap

Great point. And the answer is that I can't find the exact same card. :rain:

But also, it's an opportunity (excuse really) to upgrade. :D

As long as it is the same card it does not matter what brand

Unless OCD is a factor lol

Agree with above posts one card can do it

Medium settings no AA the 770 will get you close on most titles

The 780 would be the gold standard

Back