• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Swiftech finally releases a copper top for the GTX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That looks much better. I don't see why they don't offer it that way assembled :confused:

Perfect timing, I just ordered a GTX. If I read the linked thread correctly, Swiftech is initially just offering the top by itself. But, sounds like eventually they'll sell the GTX assembled with the copper top for something like $10 more than the current price.

Copper transfers heat better than aluminum, but mainly you don't want two types of metals in the loop or you'll get corrosion problems eventually.

Copper transfers heat better than aluminum, but mainly you don't want two types of metals in the loop or you'll get corrosion problems eventually.

The base, the part that transfers heat, is already copper. This is just the top that was previously aluminum plated in something. So someone correct me on this, but this will add 0 performance and just reduce/prevent corrosion.

--pak

Perfect timing, I just ordered a GTX. If I read the linked thread correctly, Swiftech is initially just offering the top by itself. But, sounds like eventually they'll sell the GTX assembled with the copper top for something like $10 more than the current price.

Yea no crap, me too. But timing is everything and I needed the block for the coming week and there is no way I'd buy a second top for 3/4 the price of a whole new block. The nickel plating isn't a terrible thing...I mean yea ideally one metal is best but nickel isn;t going to cause problems like al. It also explains why the GTX has been on sale at a few places :bang head

Why they didn't just make it out of Delrin or FRN in the first place is beyond me :D. I guess the Aluminum was cheaper to have extruded than it would have been to have a mold made to make a plastic top.

The base, the part that transfers heat, is already copper. This is just the top that was previously aluminum plated in something. So someone correct me on this, but this will add 0 performance and just reduce/prevent corrosion.

--pak

Obviously, the majority of the heat transfer is via the bottom and the water. The cooling effect of the top is admittedly minimal, but I wouldn't say it's zero. After all, the GTX top is finned (sort of).

If you have good case ventilation, it might help cooling a little. I have two 120mm fan mounted in the side cover blowing in, although the GTX I bought is actually for caseless benching, but I'll still have an AC household fan blowing over the motherboard.

Yes, if the price is $40, that is rather expensive. If you use an anticorrosion additive in your coolant and change once a year, you'll probably be ok to leave it stock. For the perfectionist, it's welcome news. I'll probably get one.

Yes but I don't trust any aluminum, IDC what it is plated/coated with. :bang head

exactly - if you get one little pinhole in the plating or coating it eventually gets bigger and without knowing it, you end up with mixed metals in the loop and really bad things start happening. aluminum should be abandoned as a material for waterblocks/rads/reservoirs --at least for any part that has contact with coolant.

Alum is probably a lot cheaper for companies to buy than copper. That's the only reason I can see why it's still around.

yes -- that and it is easier and less expensive to machine.

I've always been willing to pay more for copper, though. Why? I have been building H2O systems since before you could buy anything for watercooling and you had to build all of the parts yourself. During that time, I have discovered exactly how expensive it is to have a mixed metal loop go to hell - the cost of copper is cheap in comparison.

Back