• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

INSANE british prices

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theocnoob

Poor British people,

This is from the CPUID website, and is a recent article regarding the Nvidia 9600GT

http://www.cpuid.com/vvikoo_9600gt.php

"The Geforce 9600GT is definitely a very good deal, and offers the best ratio performance / price at the moment. The boosted version proposed by Vvikoo makes even better, and provides almost the same performance as a 8800GT at a lower price. The 9600GT Turbo is priced around 180€ (the ZF-1000 alone is priced around 45€), whereas the cheapest 8800GT is around 210€."

In other words, an 8800GT is 210 pound sterling.

That is FOUR HUNDRED dollars folks! (Canadian and US hardware prices are equal now so this applies to US and Canadian people)

And this is a current article too.

The 8800GT frequently goes on sale here for $99 and the most expensive I've ever seen it is $199-- when it came out last year! That's half the price the brits are paying-- and as mentioned that's the cheapest they see it-- 210 pounds.

That's horrible.

Also obscene-- notice the extremely nice Zalman HSF assembly on the card is quoted at 45 pounds.

A hundred dollars for the THERMAL SOLUTION on an air cooled video card?

What planet is this on?

Apparently all over Europe, electronics prices are similarly rediculous.

When I was in Spain recently, my cousin, who is a techie, was asking me what various items are going for. When I told him NAND flash memory was under $5/Gigabyte, he didn't believe me. Its still at $20 there. Yes that's right. $20. 1GB of flash memory.

Can you imagine a $40 2GB USB key? Apparently they can't imagine an $8 2GB USB key... I can go buy one right now though.

When he came to visit in 2006 he ended up buying all kinds of expansion cards, an IPOD, a creative ZEN, because the prices were "just too good".

When he first asked me how much it was for an IPOD nano (this is in 2006), he didn't believe me. He kept going "Ok come on, seriously".

When I pulled up the website to show him he was like "Get in the car we're going right now"

The 9600GT Turbo is priced around 180€ (the ZF-1000 alone is priced around 45€), whereas the cheapest 8800GT is around 210€."

In other words, an 8800GT is 210 pound sterling.

You got it mixed up, € is not £. That article was from March so it doesnt apply any more anyway but try to use the rate for Euro (€) and not GBP (£) and it looks better. Ofcourse prices are not nearly as insane as your inital conversion, its more expensive over here in Europe but not really anything to complain about.

Oh I didn't realize I'd done that. My mistake.

So its 1.5X or so rather than 2X. It is better.

I still think you guys are getting ripped off.. I mean, geographically you're closer to Asia than we are (generally)-- shouldn't that reduce the prices somewhat?

I still think you guys are getting ripped off.. I mean, geographically you're closer to Asia than we are (generally)-- shouldn't that reduce the prices somewhat?

More uptodate rates from www.xe.com/ucc:
1 EUR = 1.27150 USD
1 GBP = 1.47030 USD
The financial crisis been merciless to GBP and other non-Euro currencies in Europe.

Western Europe got somewhat high VAT and strong consumer rights compared to US. Consumer rights are expensive both for the E-tailers and distributors, and even if it wasnt they would still use it as an excuse to increase prices :)
Then theres different wages, i bet the employees at British e-tailers make more money than the average Newegg employee. All in all i think they could reduce prices but not by much, if it was possible to sell much cheaper then someone would have done it already and taken huge market shares in short time.

Oh I didn't realize I'd done that. My mistake.

Most of the GPU's and CPU's are made in places like costa rica or malaysia or even here in the us of a, so we actually get cheaper products this way

Back