• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IPS panel on a TV

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrsteve0924

Cubed Beef Stew Member
there is always lots of discussion about computer monitors and whether to go with TN or IPS, but I never hear TN or IPS or other tech brought up when deciding on an LCD TV.

why is that?

I believe most modern LG panels are S-IPS. Just dig deeper :p

To my knowledge Samsung only uses 4 panel types: S-PVA, A-MVA, S-MVA, ASV.

I believe most modern LG panels are S-IPS. Just dig deeper :p

that's really my point. why do they make me dig deeper? samsung, LG, they make monitors and tvs. why show the spec for monitors but not the tv?

If you already own the TV it is very easy to tell by the viewing angle.

Because people that buy monitors are more likely to actually care what panel is being used.

that's really my point. why do they make me dig deeper? samsung, LG, they make monitors and tvs. why show the spec for monitors but not the tv?

Because with tvs it tends to be negligible between the 2 primary types of panels due to viewing distance. Whereas with monitors you are sitting directly in front of it.

I don't think you'll ever run into a TN TV, unless it's just a monitor with a TV tuner built in. Really the only thing you have to look out for is if it <= 27" and 1080p. Everything else should be IPS or some other panel type that doesn't have terrible viewing angles.

I don't think you'll ever run into a TN TV, unless it's just a monitor with a TV tuner built in. Really the only thing you have to look out for is if it <= 27" and 1080p. Everything else should be IPS or some other panel type that doesn't have terrible viewing angles.

makes sense. if they only use IPS and above quality no need to call it out.

Back