• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer to TV - HDMI Cable Length?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathman20

High Speed Premium Senior
While I do enjoy sitting at my PC to play games, I've been considering at hooking it up to the TV to enjoy it there as well. My only issue is, the TV is not right next to the PC, its a little distance.

A little I believe it is around 40' when all things is considered.
Probably about 10' to the corner of the room, and routing in the desk, another 20' at least to the TV and then up to it, and some wiggle room for cable movement, etc.

Has anyone done a long run like this? If so what issues can I expect? I know I have to go shielded since I will be running by a corner where I have my UPS/Cable Modem/Router/NAS box sitting.

I run a 25ft HDMI cable without issue.
IIRC you're good to 50ft without a booster.

I don't think you would run into problems, but if you want to avoid setting everything up I recommend giving Steam In Home Streaming a try first and seeing how you like it.

I don't think you would run into problems, but if you want to avoid setting everything up I recommend giving Steam In Home Streaming a try first and seeing how you like it.

Would be neat to try, but I don't have another PC sitting next to the TV. Just want to move the signal from PC to TV. Got a Keyboard and Mouse to use at the couch if necessary, or a really long USB cable for the Xbox Controller.

I think I'll just have to find a cable and give it a shot. Thanks for the input. If anyone has personal experience that would be cool. Probably won't do it for a few more weeks.

Edit:
And a few items I'm looking at. Undecided which way I'll go with it, but was just curious if anyone had personal experience here with it.

Pricier but smaller cable (easier to bend/route)
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10255&cs_id=1025506&p_id=9432&seq=1&format=2

Normal HDMI cable with a little bend in it, still mentioned it can be stiff.
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024005&p_id=2110&seq=1&format=2

Last edited:
Back