• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Network Setup Help (Guru Advice needed)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Beelzebub said:
I like your diagram better, but it isnt that much different than the one i had made except for the Modem, Internet Cloud, and diagnal lines :D

The modem is a Westell Wirespeed 890-36R16. I am not quite sure it has its own IP address. I had switched it with an identicle one configured for my friend's DSL that went to a different COLO and it worked without any changes.

Is it because Router's DHCP is enabled that it takes over the hub?

With only a hub and no router, I can have all my public IPs point to something. The modem does not seem to take one up as was said earlier. If my computers are set up to use DHCP with only the modem, they cannot connect to the internet or eachother.

My DSL plan is PacBell Enhanced DSL with 1.5 down and 784 up (i think thats the number, i know it is in the 700s). They provide only 5 IPs. The gateway didnt change when i switched modems.

I heard sometime ago that a standard hub is considered a 'dumb' device and will follow the lead of any 'smart' device on the system, such as a router, if there is nothing else between them. Does this sound correct?

Thanks for all the input guys.

running the 4 computer outside of your router may result in a hacking fenzy. I would put Sygate personal firewall on each of them and open up the ports you need.

Also, when you connect the hub to the router, be sure to use a x-over cable.... A common mistake.

I am all over the firewall :)

One reason I want the servers outside the firewall/router is because I want to test out some security software from eEye digital security. Sure it is a plug for a place I used to work for, but I had to do it :rolleyes:

The hub in front of the router works!!! WOOPIIEEEE!!! Thanks guys.

I guess I was getting confused because before it didnt work, but I think I had the cables plugged in the wrong ports. The router has LAN / WAN / Uplink ports on it and before I had plugged the hub into the Uplink rather than the WAN. All that matters is it works perfectly now. Thanks guys!!

Back