• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSi r9 290 +fx 8350

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

army

Registered
HI all

I am having problems with my new setup. Just added to my system MSI r9 290.

The cards gpu usage spikes in every game from 100 to even 0 and so on its just acting crazy.

Temps are great for everything 45 degrees for cpu and 70 max for gpu
Tried both drivers latest beta and whql with clean install using ddu in safe mode
Tried oc my cpu no luck spikes ar there.

Can it be my psu ? If that how to tell its psu fault ?
Can it be fx 8350 bottleneck for that card ?

AMD FX 8350 stock speeds hyper evo 212 with to 120mm fans push and pull
MSI gaming r9 290 twin frozr 4
asus sabertooth 990fx r2.0
8 gigs 1600 mhz ram
650 w OCZ plus bronze zs series
case with a 4x 120mm fans for air movement

Last edited:
It's possible, is that the ZS series?? It only supplies 46A on one rail. The CPU OC'd can pull over 20A and the same goes for that card. You may want to wait for a second opinion but It does seem weak for your set up.

yes it is zs series, so yea i am worried about that too but still not sure how to detect that its psu fault

Only sure way I know is to try a different one. Is there one you could borrow from a friend maybe? And no issues with previous card, correct?

yea there were no probs with gtx 760 i had from msi .

did a clean install on win clean drivers and started to see a problem

Did you do the DDU before or after you installed the AMD drivers and had issues? I get problems sometimes switching back and forth. Last time I tried running both drivers since I swap so much it took me a bit of work to get it all cleaned out.
You may want to try that route one more time. Make sure you have all the Nvidia stuff out and AMD stuff like HDMI drivers etc. Then sweep both in safe mode and reinstall. Only install the parts of the driver package you need as well through custom.

Power supply should be fine since he is at stock. I wouldn't worry about that PSU until the CPU is in the 4.5Ghz 1.45v+ range personally.

That CPU will not bottleneck the card... at least, thatis not the behavior it will show if it is a bottleneck anyway.

What are the temperatures on the GPU when these spikes happen? Run MSI Afterburner to find out.

like i sad my temps are fine max ive seen is 70 c stressing the gpu on 100 load

spikes happen around any temp at load and i have no target temp set.

so tried stress test thru aida together with my cpu to see how they both preform together.

Noticed that something is not right . Temps are good and usage too but got fan chassis warnings. while it happend seemd like pc got alot quiet and it was in state like just booting up when its checking system and then powering up. BOTH my cpu and GPU was staying at 100% usage with normal temps but there were errors reported about usb too.
Couldnt read them cuz they disappeared fast

So its my psu ?

Have you tried the GPU in another system? That's way easier than swapping a power supply.

i did a lot of benchmarks when gpu is full 100%
thats what i get 3dmark 11 performance
SCORE
P10228 with AMD Radeon R9 290(1x) and AMD FX-8350
Graphics Score 14527
Physics Score 5700
Combined Score 5046

it just seems to lack power when i did a stress test but i could not monitor volts cuz i got scared about my sistem and turned off the test to prevent other damage.

I had similar problems with my 7970 if I over-clocked too much. Driver would crash without warning and usage would go crazy..restarting computer fixed it. I'm sure you've tried that lol..Also had same problem with crossfire but much worse.

Just throwing ideas out there.. only way to know forsure what the issue is would be to test different parts.

If you think it's power supply all you can really do is get a new one and try it. (Keep receipt) as earth dog stated at stock a 650 watt power supply is fine. Unless it's 10 years old, shouldn't be a problem...

no sir dont have another system were to try it .

Corsair Builder CX750M ATX2.3 80+ 750W 82.89 €91.29 €
Cooler Master ATX 2.31 GM 750W RS750-AMAAB1-EU 86.49 €

is this good psu`s for my system ?

so here is another thing my cpu score is lower then it should be with no throttling and good temps so its true that it can be done by psu ? test on stock speed i got almost 6k result in Physics but others on this cpu gets 8k
thats what i get 3dmark 11 performance
SCORE
P10228 with AMD Radeon R9 290(1x) and AMD FX-8350
Graphics Score 14527
Physics Score 5700
Combined Score 5046

The warnings i got was asus ai suite conflicting with aida got sorted that out atleast

Acouple of things, first get rid of AI Suite. It can cause a lot of stability issues. Second the physics score depends on more than CPU speed. NB speed and Ram play a part in that score as well. Even at stock different MOBOs set the HT and NB differently so It could be just fine. Get rid of AiSuite and don't buy a PSU just yet.

got rid right away when i saw problems with it .

I compare my results with similar setups and i have a lot lot worse results

both in graphics and Physics

Like I said there are a lot of variables and I'm sure you haven't found the "exact" same system at the "exact same settings. Your ram is 1600 Mhaz, not tweaked I assume. Put that up against mine running at 2000 or 2200 tweaked and there will be a big difference in score. Now let me run the NB up 2700+ and my physics will go up again. Follow me. Tweaking for benchmarks is an art. Mandrake 4565 has almost identical systems to me and his Spi scores I can't beat at the same frequency. It's all because of his particular ram and settings.

but i am searching for similar setups in 3d mark with stock speeds of cpu ram as i got and same gpu and same clock speeds

I know that there is a lot of variables but i get 1/3 less preformance with similar setups so i consider that as a huge gap

Back