• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mirror's Edge: The next Portal?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just watched the trailer again and I got to wondering, y'know when Faith runs up to the reflective glass, it says she doesn't show a reflection. I wonder why? With all the other detail the devs put into the game, something simple like a reflection on a reflective surface would not be something they'd just miss. There's gotta be a story behind that.

It definitely looks cool, but I don't think it can compare to portal (yet). The parkour thing has already been done, and while this seems like a novel refresh, it doesn't have the same innovation that portal did.

Just watched the trailer again and I got to wondering, y'know when Faith runs up to the reflective glass, it says she doesn't show a reflection. I wonder why? With all the other detail the devs put into the game, something simple like a reflection on a reflective surface would not be something they'd just miss. There's gotta be a story behind that.

clearly teehee no pun intended, otherwise they wouldnt have commented about it ;)

That was pointed out by Gametrailers, not dice. This is not what the trailer actually looks like.
Do note this is Gametrailers ANALYSIS video.

Edit: Also, Im pretty sure the creators wouldn't make the mistake of "Raposa" being 'Spanish', which it is not. Im pretty sure that it is Portugese.

Last edited:
We all make mistakes, and apparently both Zorro and Raposa can be translated to Fox. But I'm still sure Raposa is mainly Portugese.

Also it says "No aiming reticle' but in an interview, they said they were going to add one because it helps people focus and helps avoid simulation sickness. So thats apparently missing aswell as the reflection.

Well, the game is called Mirror's Edge, which obviously has something to do with reflections... right? So maybe this chick has something to do with a mirrors edge, and thus can't be seen in reflection?

Well, the game is called Mirror's Edge, which obviously has something to do with reflections... right? So maybe this chick has something to do with a mirrors edge, and thus can't be seen in reflection?
Well, think about it this way. She's a runner, someone who get's confidential, unmonitored information from point A to point B, no questions asked. She shouldn't be seen, as that would jeopardize the information she's carrying. But she's still human, just very, very agile. She would be in reflections were it the real world, but chances are the devs haven't gotten to it, or just don't care. It's not that big of a deal. You wouldn't have noticed it had GT not pointed it to you.

'kay?

Faith is in it o free her sister from a corrupt government. Her parents were killed while protesting against the government and she was forced to grow up on the street, later becoming a runner. Faith was taught not to rely on modern forms of communication, partially because the ruthless police state prefers eavesdropping every chance they get. As Faith attempts to rescue her sister, while running messages for the criminal underworld, she gets caught up in a series of events which lead to her being pursued by the totalitarian government. Acting as Faith's guide is a mysterious character named Mercury, who will help Faith in her attempt to outwit and overcome the many government agents that are out to eliminate her.

The game's name derives from the mirror-like aesthetic of the city of tall, gleaming skyscrapers and Faith's existence on the fringes of that city along with other dissidents, who have been pushed to the edge. Though set in a seemingly Utopian city environment with low crime, clean streets, and sterile architecture, it is ruled by a totalitarian government regime that conducts unbridled levels of surveillance on citizens. In this world of communications monitoring, the only way to deliver confidential information between parties is to employ couriers (called runners) to physically deliver the information.

Aside from white, the city is dominated by primary colors and orange, but it lacks the color green, emphasizing the sterile atmosphere—even plants and trees are white. Grey was also avoided in order to distinguish Mirror's Edge from other games. color is important as an indicator of health, since HUD has been eliminated from the game; as Faith takes damage and her health level decreases, the city's colors desaturated.

Back