• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to permit editing/creating files in Program Files?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

doveman

On my Windows 7 system, I can edit or create files in Program Files/ or Program Files (x86)/. On my newly installed Windows 8 system however I can't, despite running as Admin and even if I disable UAC.

Anyone know what I need to tweak to permit this? I can edit files if I first open Notepad with Run as Admin but that's rather a pain.

You need to enable permissions in several folders to get full access to edit some folders and files. Check your system's permissions here:

Untitled.png

You select various folder names, one at a time, in the computer management folder. Once selected go to the 'Action' tab and edit permissions. Or you can 'right click' with your mouse to access the same functionality.

It doesn't show folder names there though, only users/groups.

I checked via Windows Explorer though, and under Effective Permissions it shows I have full permissions to Program Files (including Create files/write data), other than Full Control, Delete subfolders and files, Change permissions and Take ownership.

It seems when I launch an app, e.g. notepad by double-clicking on an .ini file, or 7-Zip by right-clicking on a file and selecting Create Archive, those apps aren't inheriting my permissions, so they can't create/edit the files.

It doesn't show folder names there though, only users/groups.

I checked via Windows Explorer though, and under Effective Permissions it shows I have full permissions to Program Files (including Create files/write data), other than Full Control, Delete subfolders and files, Change permissions and Take ownership.

It seems when I launch an app, e.g. notepad by double-clicking on an .ini file, or 7-Zip by right-clicking on a file and selecting Create Archive, those apps aren't inheriting my permissions, so they can't create/edit the files.

So perhaps you'll need to give yourself permission for full control, delete subfolders and files, change permissions and take ownership.

So perhaps you'll need to give yourself permission for full control, delete subfolders and files, change permissions and take ownership.

I'd rather wait until someone can tell me for sure, rather than just change things in the hope that they're correct and won't risk anything.

I think the only way around the permissions issue in Win8/8.1 is to enable and log in w/ the hidden admin account...

Hmm, that sucks if that's the case. It's less hassle to just Run as Admin Notepad, 7-Zip or whatever I need to have permission to write to those folders than switch to the hidden admin account every time, as I wouldn't want to run as that all the time.

Back