• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So my laptop seems to be dead...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hipcrostino

which really sucks because i only just started using it again (for like 3 hours before no boot!)

Anyway, its old. Windows 98se, 128mb of ram, 20gb hdd, dvd rom. Toshiba Satalite 4600. 700mhz PIII. I literally just bought a wireless card which was working quite well. Anyway I was trying to get into bios, pressing all sorts of buttons, but it was too quick and started up windows. I hit the power button during boot cause i was impationent. Now the computer wont boot. Only the power light turns on, and the battery light. No fans spin up, HDD dosn't spin, no noise at all. just nothing!

what do you recommend, I'm not buying another laptop as i hardly ever use them (this was the first time in over a year i have pulled it out). The Battery is in very poor condition, holding charge for like 5 mins from full. I have just ordered a new one too...

I have pulled everything out and put it back in. makes no differance. What could have happened? I would expect at the worst turing off during windows boot would corrupt the HDD, but not kill the entire computer!

HELP!!

Hipcrostino said:
tried that, same thing happens. I think its dead.... :(
Try doing a "reset" on it. Don't plug it in, turn it on and drop the battery out. Don't actually drop it, that would be bad :p

Give it a minute, plug it into your wall charger and press the power button (also try this while holding down the "insert" key). Hope you get it working!!

The other option is open the computer and remove the CMOS battery (there may also be a CMOS reset jumper). Make sure if you remove the CMOS battery/reset the CMOS to not have it plugged in. Lol, I've done that on my system and I'm sitting here wondering why the CMOS won't reset :rolleyes:

cheers ill try that, forgot about removing the cmos battery (i looked for a jumper already but had no luck). I just bought an new lappy too which is very nice. Except Vista is kind of annoying. Its fine an all, but i would prefere to have XP.

Back